[Vms.sig-hu] Review of a recently published VMS book (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2006. Ápr. 13., Cs, 08:18:45 CEST

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:35:57 -0400
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: Review of a recently published VMS book

Dear folks,

If you are planning on coming to the boot camp please do not purchase
copy of this book as it will be part of your registration  package.

Warm Regards,
Sue

> Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 4:09 AM
> To: VMS-SIG at LISTSERV.ENCOMPASSUS.ORG
> Subject: review of recently published VMS Book
>
> as you probably know a new book was recently published on VMS
> Application Development - new VMS books are somewhat rare :-)
>
> Having read this book I posted my review
> http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=06/04/02/4453076
>
> I would be interested to know if anyone else has read it and what
you
> thought.

I am currently in the process of reading this book. So far, it is worth
every penny and I'm recommending it as an "office reference" to some
junior programmers working in another location.

I've been using VMS-BASIC now for 19 years (VAX + Alpha) and yet
there
were a few things mentioned in the BASIC chapter that I didn't know.
One
of our junior programmers needs a bootstrap into FMS and it looks like
this book will serve that need. The two chapters on MySQL and Oracle-
RDB
are priceless. The first page of the MySQL chapter tells you why
Oracle-RDB would be a better choice, assumes that cost is the only
determining factor, then uses 70 pages to show you how to call it from
"C". The RDB chapter uses 60 pages to show how to call RDB from
FORTRAN
and COBOL.

This is the best OpenVMS programming book I've seen in 15 years
(since
the release of "Writing VAX/VMS Applications Using Pascal" back in
1991)

Neil Rieck
ICSIS/Trinity Development
Bell-ATS (Advanced Technical Services)
Bell Canada
20 Water St. N.,
Kitchener, Ontario,
Canada. N2H-5A5
519-571-6303

Rövid és hosszú távú befektetések interneten keresztül! Számlavezetési díj már 125 Ft-tól!
www.klikkbank.hu