[Vms.sig-hu] Fwd: VMS Update - Sorry for the delay

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2007. Dec. 7., P, 10:20:40 CET

---------- Eredeti üzenet ----------
Dátum: 2007. dec. 04. Kedd 22:03:09
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>

Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>

Tárgy: VMS Update - Sorry for the delay

Dear Distribution lists,

First I am sorry about the delay in getting this out to you.  Last week was a busy week and it ended with the Blades short take which 67 folks attended we had 130 folks register. This Blades short take will be offered again for the folks that have missed it.  The Blades web cast was probably the most interactive (most amount of questions) I have ever seen.  Which is great a lot of interest in this and other topics

As usual we have a lot of information for you in this update.  Because of all the information you will have noticed that I have started the same thing I normally do in presenting I have added the top three things I would like you to remember.  That will be difficult considering all the useful information enclosed.

Please make sure you check out the OpenVMS HP web site on a regular basis Warren is putting information up usually daily, we really have one of the best web sites in the company, the same goes for OpenVMS.Org.

In case I have not mentioned it lately, thank you for being the best part of my job.

Warm regards as always,
Sue

P.S.  This is still not a newsletter and I still do not have anything to do with jobs or hiring folks.

________________________
________________________
Top 3 to Remember

2.3 Whitepaper - OpenVMS on Integrity Server blades for HP Bladesystem c-Class - your mgr needs to see this too
2.4 Please visit the VMS at 30 - Make sure you check this out - look at the CD
3.2 From US encompass Mark Fink OpenVMS Web cast Breaks Registration Record - replay and Q&A available - HP's commitment to OpenVMS

__________________________
__________________________
Table of Contents
1.0 ***Time sensitive:
2.0 From the VMS Group
2.1 Integrity Blade management software
2.2 CIFS Field Test Update 3
2.3 Whitepaper - OpenVMS on Integrity Server blades for HP Bladesystem c-Class
2.4 Please visit the VMS at 30
2.5 The Logica video is now the Acision video
2.6 OpenVMS documentation
3.0 Sue's Fav's
3.1 Sandvik Coromant first customer in Sweden to run Oracle 10gR2 thanks to Bruden
3.2 From US encompass Mark Fink OpenVMS Webcast Breaks Registration Record - replay and Q&A available
3.3 view of non-paged pool
3.4 Colossus cracks codes
4.0 From our Partners
4.1 Note from the DSPP Program to the VMS Partners
4.2 VMS Partners and the 30th
4.3 Seagull Software - Soars to new heights with their 30th page
4.4 Synergy - Several VMS articles and a quiz for a prize
4.5 Charon VAX and University of San Diego
4.6 SCI International
4.7 BRUDEN-OSSG Uses Itanium Assembler to Assist in OpenVMS Port to Integrity Server Systems
4.8 Salem Automation has recently released several new VMS related products
4.8.1 PS2DEC - PS2DEC Keyboard & Mouse Converter
4.8.2 ABNet - ABNet Phase I allows direct communication Allen-Bradley ControLogix or other Allen-Bradley PLCs via Ethernet.
4.8.3 UPSStat - UPSStat for CHARON VAX is an all-in-one UPS solution which will allow your CHARON VAX system to shutdown safely
5.0 Training
5.1 Parsec offers what you need for IT Security Audits
6.0 VMS in the Press
7.0 Jobs

___________________________________
1.0 ***Time sensitive:
1.1 Encompass Webcast - Register Today: 12/7 Developing Successful Technical Presentations Webcast
Go to http://www.regontap.com/encompass/index.html

1.2 If you have agreed to do an article for the January issue of the OpenVMS Technical Journal the articles are now due

2.0 From the VMS Group -

2.1 Integrity Blade management software -  This new site will help our customers learn more about Integrity Blade management software portfolio for HP-UX, Windows for Integrity, Linux for Integrity, and OpenVMS. Many enterprises have adopted blade technology to address growing challenges in data centers regarding space, power, cooling, and controlling the spiraling costs of complexity. However, the complexity in managing mixed OS environments and mixed legacy and new systems can quickly outweigh the benefits that customers hoped to gain with blades.

http://www.hp.com/go/Integritybladesoftware

----------------------
2.2 The HP OpenVMS CIFS Engineering group is pleased to announce the availability of HP OpenVMS Common Internet File System (CIFS) based on Samba External Field Test Update 3 (Version T1.0-B) in support of both Alpha and Integrity server systems.
The OpenVMS CIFS Field Test Update 3 provides the following key features and improvements:
*       Improved winbind implementation
*       Automatic creation of users using idmap UIDs (along with winbindd)
*       Qualified Printers for LPD queues
*       Performance Improvements:
o       VAR format files can be opened using notepad with CRTL fix in place
o       Performance improvement for VAR format files
*       Feature improvements:
o       Large file copy is supported
o       Homes share functionality is supported
o       The SMB.CONF parameter "directory mask" is supported
o       Problems with enumeration, browsing and deletion of directories with certain file patterns fixed
o       Deleting multiple file versions
o       NET rpc vampire works with Advanced Server for OpenVMS
*       Engineering improvements (to conform to OpenVMS product guidelines/ease of future maintenance):
o       All logical names and file names which are user visible are renamed to samba$xxx to conform to OpenVMS naming convention.
o       Simplified CIFS installation and configuration in a cluster
o       Integrated winbindd functionality into SMBD process, thus avoiding the need for multi winbindd process implementation
The field test may be run on HP OpenVMS Alpha V8.2 and V8.3 and/or HP OpenVMS Integrity V8.2-1 and V8.3.  The production release of CIFS will be made available following the completion of field test.
As a field test site, you have the opportunity of utilizing our newest technology early, and in return, we would appreciate your feedback about our product. Your comments are very important to us.
The kits and documentation are available from the HP OpenVMS Common Internet File System web site:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/network/CIFS_for_Samba.html
Here you will find a hot link with a registration request. Follow the easy steps to access the software and documentation.

-------------------------------------

2.3 ***You need to print this out and give it to your Manager

OpenVMS on Integrity Server blades for HP Bladesystem c-Class

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA1-4753ENW.pdf

2.4 Please visit the VMS at 30 site to order your Anniversary CD, you can also download a screen saver
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html

2.5 The Logica video is now the  Acision video (I recommend this highly) please look on our success stories page.  See how your teenagers are using VMS!
 http://h71000.www7.hp.com/success-stories.html

------------------------------------

2.6 OpenVMS documentation now has it's own Operating System category on the HP Technical Docs Page, http://docs.hp.com. Click here and scroll down to find HP OpenVMS Systems Documentation

_________________________________

3.0 Sue's Fav's

3.1 from Sandvik and Bruden-OSSG http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/11/29/6338813
Sandvik Coromant (the world's leading manufacturer of cutting tools for the metalworking industry) became the first customer in Sweden to run Oracle 10gR2 RAC on top of an OpenVMS cluster running OpenVMS V8.3-1H1.

BRUDEN-OSSG performed a successful RAC installation at Sandvik. Although several problems were encountered, the BRUDEN-OSSG staff worked diligently to complete the task in 3 days. At the end of the installation, 3 databases were created with full fail-over capabilities between all nodes. The cluster will go into production within couple of months.

------------------

3.2 From US encompass Mark Fink OpenVMS Webcast Breaks Registration Record - On October 26th, in conjunction with the 30th anniversary celebration of OpenVMS, Encompass hosted a very special webcast titled, HP's Support of OpenVMS, by Martin Fink joined by Ann McQuaid. With record breaking numbers of over 240 registrants, Fink and his team lead a candid discussion with Encompass members and answered unscripted questions. View the recorded presentation in its entirety. Martin Fink and his team also provided written answers to questions submitted by the community in advance of the webcast. Thanks to Martin Fink and the entire OpenVMS community for a wonderful webcast.
https://www.encompassus.org/events/webcasts/MartinFink.cfm
Written Answers https://www.encompassus.org/community/sigs/QuestionsAnswers.pdf

--------------------
3.3 With thanks to Kirill (VMS Ambassador in Russia)

Go to http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.713345&lon=-71.457288&z=17&l=1&m=a&v=2 (well, that are our ZKO buildings)

Click on the Non-paged Pool satellite photo (in the center) of the page and see the window with the following text:

"Non-paged Pool"

VMS OS has two types of kernel memory pools to allocate from -- paged which can be swapped out and non-paged which can not move. Clearly this pool is of the latter type.

You may find this place photo here: www.flickr.com/photos/marcn/12677788/
tags: VMS OpenVMS Digital Compaq HP pool memory
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS

--------------------

3.4 Bletchley Park - Colossus cracks codes once more - For the first time in more than 60 years a Colossus computer is cracking codes at Bletchley Park.

____________________________________

4.0 From our Partners

4.1 ***** From the DSPP Program, please make sure to check out  www.hp.com/dspp you will see the VMS at 30 click on the art you will see a letter from the DSPP program to our wonderful partners.

------------------
4.2 Partners if you have a 30th logo on your page can you please let me know. Thanks Sue
----------------
4.3 Seagull Software Check out this partner (click on the 30th anniversary art) http://www.seagullsoftware.com/ this is on their home page.
---------------
4.4 Synergy is having a quiz and you can win $100 gift check and they have several articles about VMS on their home page here is their home page http://www.synergyde.com/default.aspx here is the quiz http://www.synergyde.com/news/sen_quiz.aspx?e=572770&v=SEN20071120HTML
---------------
4.5 CHARON VAX implementation to extend the life of a important VMS system at the University of San Diego:
http://www.winvms.com/images/Univ_of_San_Diego.pdf

---------------
4.6 Some more good news from SCI one of our partners located here in Nashua, NH

"Software Concepts International (SCI), a leader in the OpenVMS system management and migration services continues to grow by adding well known OpenVMS professionals to the team.  Visit www.sciinc.com to see the latest addition to the SCI staff." Look at the 20th anniversary (sue)

---------------
4.7 BRUDEN-OSSG Uses Itanium Assembler to Assist in OpenVMS Port to Integrity Server Systems to see this story please visit (you need to scroll down - Sue)

Most OpenVMS ports from Alpha to Itanium are relatively quick and simple, with few modifications to the original code. One area in which ports can require additional expertise shows up when code has an intimate dependence on the OpenVMS calling standard.

IMS MAXIMS has a Hospital Administration system which was originally developed in Cobol and designed to run on OpenVMS. Most of the application ported from the Alpha to the Intel Itanium platform without problems and with no changes to the original code.

http://www.brudenossg.com/index.php?c=13&a=38&w=2&r=Y

---------------
4.8 And from one of our Partners that has really done some hard word making VMS related products for our customers.

HEADS UP ***** Salem Automation has recently released several new VMS related products:

4.8.1 PS2DEC - PS2DEC Keyboard & Mouse Converter is designed to allow direct interface of a standard PC 101 PS2 style keyboard and PC PS2 mouse to a VAXStation.  VGA to RGB conversion cable is available as part of he conversion.  Some DEC function keys are non-existent on the PC 101 keyboard and these keys are remapped using a combination of Shift and Function key to provide DEC LK functionality.  See this link for more information:

http://www.winvms.com/images/PS2DEC.pdf

4.8.2 ABNet - ABNet Phase I allows direct communication from a VAX, Alphaserver, CHARON VAX, CHARON Alpha or HP Integrity system running VMS to an Allen-Bradley ControLogix or other Allen-Bradley PLCs via Ethernet.
Previous available VMS products for this function are now in a "maintenance only mode" with no future releases planned.  The ABNet interface can be called from a user's C or Fortran program via an API.  Additional functionality can be added to ABNet for a fee.  Phase II of this interface will be released in March 2007 with additional functionality.  See this link for more information:

http://www.winvms.com/images/ABNet.pdf

4.8.3 UPSStat - UPSStat for CHARON VAX is an all-in-one UPS solution which will allow your CHARON VAX system to shutdown safely in the event of a power outage.  In addition, this software can be used for interface from a non-CHARON VAX VMS system to smart UPS for orderly shutdown upon imminent UPS power expiration.  In the event of a power outage, UPSStat detects the power left reaching a predefined level and initiates a safe shutdown process to ensure no loss of data and the fastest possible restart once power is restored. UPSStat is configured to shut down your CHARON-VAX emulator prior to the shutdown of the rest of your Windows processes.  See this link for more information:

http://www.winvms.com/images/upstat.pdf

5.0 Training
PARSEC
IT Security Audits - do you have the necessary skills to assist and/or perform one?  Click here - ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/hpcp/epgs/HP0-276_EPG.pdf - to see the HP Exam Preparation Guide.  If you need additional training, go to http://parsec.com/general/description.php?O^HB518S to read more about OpenVMS System, Network and Internet Security training provided by PARSEC Group [this class is recommended within the Exam Preparation Guide].  Classes are scheduled for the week of February 11th and April 28th.  Contact us today toll-free 888.472.7732 or go to www.parsec.com and send us an e-mail.

6.0 Press

http://www.informationweek.com/management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202801794 VMS Operating System Is 30 Years Old; Customers Believe It Can Last Forever
Created by DEC, now sold as HP's OpenVMS, it's used by the Deutsche Borse in Germany, the Australian Stock Exchange, and Amazon.com.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=12&articleId=306644&intsrc=hm_topic - OpenVMS Still Has Road Ahead Of It, HP Says

http://soa.sys-con.com/read/457201.htm VIRTUALIZATION - The Marines Enlist Vmware

http://dvd.consumerelectronicsnet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=227133 HP Updates Integrity Systems with Latest Processor Technology and Software Enhancements
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071108005327&newsLang=en HP Updates Integrity Systems with Latest Processor Technology and Software Enhancements
http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug110807-story06.html HP Puts Montvale Itaniums into Integrity Line
http://www.tophosts.com/articles/006320.html Hewlett-Packard Updates Integrity Server Line
Electronics giant refreshes its Integrity server systems with the latest processor technology and software enhancements.

http://www.gridtoday.com/grid/1886603.html A Job Scheduler for the Ages

http://www.itjungle.com/bns/bns111907-story01.html HP Closes Out Fiscal 2007 with a Strong Finish

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/803237/ Integrity systems updated by HP with latest processor technology and software enhancements

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/64306,vms-operating-system-is-30-years-old-customers-believe-it-can-last-forever.aspx VMS operating system is 30 years old; Customers believe it can last forever

7.0 Jobs

Computer Weekly Jobs UK IT http://www.computerweekly.com/jobs/default.aspx?error=404

Job in London - http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/11/26/4764856

Job in RI http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/11/16/6414756

--------- következő rész ---------
Egy csatolt HTML állomány át lett konvertálva...