[Vms.sig-hu] Updated VMS Information - First one of 2007 (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2007. Jan. 12., P, 20:42:00 CET

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:09:44 -0500
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: Updated VMS Information - First one of 2007

Dear Distribution lists,

Well here is the first OpenVMS Updated Information for 2007.  This one
is pretty long since for the first time I sent out a pre-warning mail so
folks could send me cool information which worked pretty well.  So I will
continue to do that.  I hope that folks have had the chance to listen to
the VMS Audio Cast on OpenVMS.org that is really worth your time (see
Sue's Fav's for a pointer).  Also if you have not looked into NetBeans for
VMS Alpha or I64 its really worth it (see From VMS Engineering).  As
always I have nothing to do with hiring folks the job is just here as
information.

Warm Regards as always,
Sue

1.0 Sue's Fav's
	1.0.1 VMS Audio Cast link
	1.0.2 VMS Slogan of the week
	1.0.3 The OpenVMS Technical Journal Info
	1.0.4 The OpenVMS Boot Camp Info
	1.0.5 hobbyists is attempting to develop a DCL procedure
	1.0.6 Brand new, Quad-core Xeon Golden Eggs
	1.0.7 New Book - The Minimum You Need to Know About Java
on OpenVMS" Now shipping
2.0 Time Sensitive
	2.0.1 Coming in Feb Encompass Canada Seminars
3.0 From VMS Engineering
	3.0.1 availability of Distributed NetBeans Version T5.0 FT2 for
OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS I64
	3.0.2 ABS V4.3, V4.3A and V4.4 ECO Released
	3.0.3 PERFORMANCE DATA COLLECTION DCL - From one of
our Ambassadors
4.0 From Our Partners
	4.0.1 Attunity provides data access solutions for RMS and
Oracle RDB on HP Integrity Servers
	4.0.2 Single processor CHARON VAX emulations of the VAX
4000 and 6000 systems are now running up to 120 VUPs on single
processor
	4.0.3 Raxco Software Seeking Beta Testers for Products
Ported to Integrity Platform
	4.0.4 Introducing TrendsThatMatter performance consultancy
company
5.0 Jobs
	5.0.1 PARSEC Group is looking for an Inside Sales Consultant
________________________
1.0 Sue's Fav's

1.0.1 VMS Audio Cast http://www.openvms.org/ right nav bar

1.0.2 VMS Slogan of the week - I have time to party because I run
OpenVMS! Thanks to Bruce C

1.0.3 The OpenVMS Technical Journal received over 50,100 views in
2006.  Speaking of the Technical Journal we will be focusing on
OpenVMS E-Business and related technologies for the June issues. We
will have other topics but that will be the focus.

1.0.4 The OpenVMS Boot Camp is still scheduled for the week of May
20th many thanks to the people that keep asking

1.0.5 From Dave D
One of the OpenVMS hobbyists is attempting to develop a DCL
procedure that can used in batch for automated annual hobbyist
license renewal requests. OpenVMS hobbyists who think this might be
useful and/or have suggestions for possible implementation are
welcome to correspond with the author. Your ideas will be helpful in the
formation of this hopefully useful tool. Monitor the comp.os.vms Usenet
newsgroup or Google that group for the keywords "WGET" and "re-
licensing".

The associated URL would be (long, may wrap, sorry):
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/search?
hl=en&group=comp.os..vms&q=wget+re-licensing&qt_g=1

1.0.6 Brand new, Quad-core Xeon HP DL380-G5 Golden Eggs has been
added in the
library:
Direct link: http://goldeneggs.spyderbyte.com/geggs/GEIDL380G5x.pdf

Warm regards,
Matti Patari
Email: Matti.Patari at kolumbus.fi

Self service Library for Golden Eggs: http://goldeneggs.spyderbyte.com/

1.0.7 New Book - The Minimum You Need to Know About Java on
OpenVMS" Now shipping

Order page:
https://www.icusc.com/NOV21_WEBSTORE.asp?search_fd2=*JAVA*

Book information page:

http://www.logikalsolutions.com/logikalsolutions_products.html

Eventually Barnes & Noble on-line will be listing it as well.  They
take a few weeks to process things.

_______________________________
2.0 Time Sensitive

2.0.1 Coming in Feb Encompass Canada Seminars in Toronto Feb 20th
and Montreal Feb 22nd - See you there
Visit  http://www.encompasscanada.com/ for on going details

_________________________________

3.0 From VMS Engineering

3.0.1 OpenVMS Engineering is pleased to announce the availability of
Distributed NetBeans Version T5.0 FT2 for OpenVMS Alpha and
OpenVMS I64.

Distributed NetBeans allows you to run the NetBeans integrated
development environment (IDE) on your desktop system to develop
applications on a remote HP OpenVMS system.

This latest field test version supports NetBeans 5.0 and NetBeans 5.5.

New Features of Distributed NetBeans T5.0 FT2 include

  ˇ Sun's C/C++ module can now be used with Distributed NetBeans.
  ˇ 3GL and remote Ant compilation settings have been expanded to
include "per project" settings.
  ˇ The latest OpenVMS Java 1.5 kits are now supported.
  ˇ Improvements have been made to the Distributed menu items on
the Project right-mouse click menu.
  ˇ The Distributed NetBeans plug-in now works with Mac OS.
  ˇ Problems with the Distributed NetBeans plug-in on Linux have been
fixed.
  ˇ Extra source directories in a project are now supported during initial
remote project conversion.

The NetBeans IDE, Distributed NetBeans client, and the IDE Server are
provided free of charge.  Support is provided with your OpenVMS
operating system support contract and by the Distributed NetBeans
development team.

For more information or to download the Distributed NetBeans T5.0 FT2
kit, please visit

http://www.hp.com/products/openvms/distributednetbeans/

Best Regards,
The Distributed NetBeans Engineering Team

3.0.2 ABS V4.3, V4.3A and V4.4 ECO Released
                                                =============================
===

The ABS/MDMS Engineering team is happy to announce the availability
of ABS ECO kits as follows:

1. V4.3 (703)
2. V4.3A (802)
3. V4.4 (901)

This release includes enhancement of the ABS software for
1) ARCHIVE object display to clearly specify the EXPIRATION DATE and
RETENTION DAYS criteria and display "--" to the field not applicable for
that ARCHIVE
2) Ask a confirmatory question to user before processing the user
action of setting RETENTION DAYS to 0, warning user of the
consequences.

This release also includes announcement for qualification of System
Backup to Tape (SBT) for Oracle databases feature of ABS/MDMS V4.3A
and V4.4 to backup Oracle10g (10.1.0.3.0) database using Oracle's
Recovery Manager on OpenVMS Alpha V8.2.

 The kit can be obtained in the following ways -

1) Internal location for download:

   The kits are copied to BULOVA as
ABS_V43_0703_0703.ZIP
ABS_V43A_0802_0802.ZIP
ABS_V44_0901_0901.ZIP

   and are available at the following location:
   BULOVA::PUBLIC5$:[000000.STORAGE.ABS.KITS]

 2) External location for download:

   The kits are also uploaded to the ITRC website as zip files that are
separately available for
   OpenVMS on VAX, Alpha and I64. Following are the zip file names for
the three kits on the three different platforms:

  1. V4.3 (703)
   - ABS_AXPVMS_V43_703.ZIP on OpenVMS Alpha
   - ABS_VAXVMS_V43_703.ZIP on OpenVMS VAX
   - ABS_I64VMS_V43_703.ZIP on OpenVMS I64

2. V4.3A (802)
   - ABS_AXPVMS_V43A_802.ZIP on OpenVMS Alpha
   - ABS_VAXVMS_V43A_802.ZIP on OpenVMS VAX
   - ABS_I64VMS_V43A_802.ZIP on OpenVMS I64

3. V4.4 (901)
   - ABS_AXPVMS_V44_901.ZIP on OpenVMS Alpha
   - ABS_VAXVMS_V44_901.ZIP on OpenVMS VAX
   - ABS_I64VMS_V44_901.ZIP on OpenVMS I64

Regards,
ABS Engineering

3.0.3 PERFORMANCE DATA COLLECTION DCL

Sebastiano Salvati has released a set of DCL procedures which gather
statistic data on the use of server geographically dispersed. The data
are then collected on a central server. This pool of procedures is used
for collection and pre-elaboration of principal Statistic data on the
utilization of an OpenVMS computer system. It was originally developed
to collect the data of all branch systems around the country of a major
national bank. It is part of a software architecture which includes:

* One agent running on a remote branch system: STAT$COLLECTOR
(this one)
* One central collector to gather and store data on a central
repository: STAT$CENTRAL_COLLECTOR
* A command file to start the agent: STAT$STARTUP
* A command file to start the central collector: STAT$CENTRAL_STARTUP
* A watch dog command file for the central collector
STAT$CENTRAL_WATCHER

It is based partially on the use of the MONITOR utility which is bundled
with the OpenVMS operating system.

To find out more and to download the DCL visit
http://mail.openvms.org:8100/Redirect/www.geocities.com/sebsalva/en
gdclmenu.html

4.0 From Our Partners
4.0.1 Attunity provides data access solutions for RMS and Oracle RDB
on HP Integrity Servers

Attunity, a leading provider of enterprise-class software for application
and data integration, and solutions in the new and fast growing
Workplace Applications market, has extended its support to the
OpenVMS Community and HP Integrity Servers. Available immediately,
the Attunity Integration Suite (AIS) 5.0 now supports Oracle Rdb on
OpenVMS running on HP Integrity servers, complementing the existing
support of RMS.

Using Attunity, customers can gain access to their data on HP Integrity
systems as well as integrate that same data with other sources. The
combination enables customers to drive down overall enterprise
computing costs and open up new opportunities to leverage their
corporate information assets. By supporting standard interfaces and
Web Services, AIS enables customers to rapidly incorporate HP
Integrity servers, mainframe, AS400, and legacy data and application
environments into corporate IT information architecture initiatives such
as Business Intelligence, Data-warehousing, mainframe integration and
SOA.

Click on the following link to learn more:

http://www.attunity.com/press_releases.aspx?newsId=1040

4.0.2 Single processor CHARON VAX emulations of the VAX 4000 and
6000 systems are now running up to 120 VUPs on single processor
Intel 5160 dual core HP ProLiant Servers.  Multi-processor emulations
such as the CHARON VAX 6620/6630 on similar platforms scale upwards
accordingly.  Contact Chuck Graham at Salem Automation 336-661-
0890, ext. 106 cwgraham at salemautomation.com for further details
(www.CHARONVAX.com).

4.0.3 Raxco Software Seeking Beta Testers for Products Ported to
Integrity Platform

Raxco Software, Inc., a longtime provider of system management
software for OpenVMS, is pleased to announce it has ported its
PerfectDisk and PerfectCache software to the Integrity platform.

Raxco is currently seeking beta testers to run PerfectDisk and/or
PerfectCache on Integrity servers. We are prepared to offer beta
testers one (1) free product license and a 50% discount on additional
licenses for their participation in the test program. Raxco will provide
the beta test requirements.

PerfectDisk differs from the OVMS defragmenter in several key ways.
While it defragments files it also consolidates the free space on the
disk. This provide maximum disk space utilization and improves both
disk read and write speeds. The free space consolidation also slows re-
fragmentation of the disk.

PerfectDisk also arranges files by their access patterns grouping rarely
accessed files together. As long as these files remain in this category
they do not need to be moved on subsequent defrags. This reduces
defrag time and saves resources.  Conversely, recently accessed files
are located adjacent to the consolidated free space which makes it
easier for them to grow with minimal fragmentation. All of this is done
in comparable time and with less CPU usage than the OVMS
defragmenter.

PerfectCache accelerates disk I/O several fold and reduces the time it
takes applications to complete a task. In our preliminary testing
PerfectCache was up to 20% faster than the OVMS cache technology.
PerfectCache on OVMS uses a unique file allocation algorithm that
ensures maximum caching and accelerates file access for optimal
performance.

You can enroll in the PerfectDisk and/or PerfectCache beta test
program by sending us an email OVMSBeta at raxco.com . A Raxco
technical representative will contact you with details.

Raxco Software Inc.  6 Montgomery Village Ave.,  Suite 500
Gaithersburg, MD 20879  Tel 301-527-0803  www.raxco.com

-----------------------------
4.0.4 Introducing TrendsThatMatter

After 11 years in OpenVMS Engineering's Performance Group, Steve
Lieman has just started up TrendsThatMatter.com, a performance
consultancy with a strong emphasis on using a T4 & Friends approach.
You can find out more how TrendsThatMatter helps add value through
a focus on performance by visiting www.trendsthatmatter.com or by
emailing Steve at steve.lieman at trendsthatmatter.com .

5.0 Jobs

5.0.1 PARSEC Group is looking for an Inside Sales Consultant - please
send your resume with salary history to Dawn Rubin at
drubin at parsec.com for consideration.

Would prefer individual(s) with knowledge of OpenVMS/Tru64
Consulting, Training & Support Services but are willing to train the right
individual(s).

Van Skype-od vagy MSN Messengered? Használd okosan! Tanulj nyelvet Közép-Európa
vezető e-nyelviskolájában az Interneten! Kattints ide!
http://ad.adverticum.net/b/cl,1,6022,131839,203066/click.prm