[Vms.sig-hu] Fwd: OpenVMS Update - May 10 - Ok for External

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2007. Május. 10., Cs, 17:41:22 CEST

---------- Eredeti üzenet ----------
Dátum: 2007. máj. 10. Csütörtök 16:25:38Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>Tárgy: OpenVMS Update - May 10 - Ok for External

Dear Distribution lists,

Here is the latest copy of the VMS Update and here is my usual
disclaimer that this is not an official newsletter. However it does
prevent numerous emails to you.

Best Regards,
Sue

TOC

Sue's Favs
Personal Research
Boot Camp Info
Technical Journal Articles Due May 15
HP Renew program
New Audio cast
New White Paper
Museums
From VMS Engineering
OpenVMS Technical Update Days in Australia and Singapore
More OpenVMS iCAP success:
little piece of code to try
From our Partners
Oracle
PointSecure
CA
Quintara
Process
User Groups
Canada
Germany
US
In the Press

Sue's Fav's

Personal Research - I am trying to find a customer that has been on VMS
for the longest amount of time. Please let me know when you started
using VMS.

There are 26 remaining seats for the boot camp
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/symposium/index.html
The OpenVMS Partners Roundhouse at he Boot Camp is now full.

Steve Lieman designed a Performance Track from available sessions at the
bootcamp here is his note -
Here's what I promised. It's a word doc that has an abbreviated
bootcamp agenda that just shows performance sessions or sessions with
likely significant performance content. at the bottom, it contains
links back to the official bootcamp web site.
the link is here:
http://trendsthatmatter.com/downloads/docs/vms-bootcamp-07-performance-t
rack.doc

OpenVMS Technical Journal Articles are due May 15th

http://h40046.www4.hp.com/ HP Renew program

Please make sure that you stop by www.openvms.org and list to the VMS
Audio casts, and from what I have heard from the Audio team V9 should be
there in a day or two. your feedback makes a huge difference. After all
this is why we do things.

In case you missed it there is a new TechWise white paper "Quantifying
the Total Cost of Upgrading HP OpenVMS Alpha Server Systems to OpenVMS
on HP Integrity Servers".
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/OpenVMS_TCU_2007.pdf

Thanks to our friends at OpenVMS.org for the following
http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/05/07/3600945
The UK National Museum of Computing is being setup in one of the
buildings in Bletchley Park. Apart from the world's first digital
computers, the Colossus machines, their computer conservation workshop
are working on a PDP11/70, an original PDP8, a Prime Mini-computer and
an IBM RT system with very advanced graphics.

Speaking of Computing Museums Bernd Ulman who has a computing museum in
Germany will be at the boot camp.
http://www.vaxman.de/museum/museum.html

----------------------

From VMS Engineering

"We just concluded our OpenVMS Asia / Australia Technical Update Days
(TUD) and are very excited about the results! The three locations were
Singapore, Sydney and Melbourne Australia in this order. The interest
shown by the customers all locations was outstanding. The OpenVMS
engineer participants were Chris Brown (UK), Matt Muggeridge
(Australia), Mandar Chitale (India), Prashanth K E (India), and myself
(USA) - a well rounded team in both technical skills and geographical
diversity.

We were able to dynamically change the presentations in order to meet
expectations of the audience and they seemed to appreciate this. In
both Sydney and Melbourne, we held a porting workshop. Rob O'Meley had
the systems setup and software loaded; he did an outstanding job! We
had at least 6 solutions completely ported consisting of millions of
lines of code and very few, if any, code needing to be changed. The
promise of "recompile, re-link, run" was seen first hand by these
customers.

It was a long time in planning and a long time to be away from the
office and home but the results and the personal contacts made were well
worth it.

John Egolf, OpenVMS Nashua NH"

-------------------------------
More OpenVMS iCAP success:
OpenVMS Instant Capacity (iCAP) is gaining momentum with two more wins
in as many weeks. The largest at a University, involves two Superdomes,
shared with HP-UX in separate hard partitions (nPars), with no less than
46 iCAP Cores between them. The other deal is with an insurance company.

First OpenVMS Pay-per-use win:
OpenVMS also notched up its first leased Pay-per-use (PPU) win on a
large cell-based system shared with HP-UX. PPU ensure customers only pay
for the leased CPU resources actually consumed at any time over the 24
hour day.

Dave Holt, OpenVMS Business Management
----------------------------------

This is good ss

$ exit %xb70

--------------------------------

>From our Partners

Oracle - The latest update for Oracle 9i (9.2.0.8) is now available for
OpenVMS Alpha.

Oracle - 10gR2 has been certified on OpenVMS Alpha V8.2 and V8.3 and
OpenVMS Integrity V8.2-1 and V8.3.

Download PointSecure's FREE OpenVMS Patch Analyzer ensure
your systems are up to date with the latest patches from
OpenVMS engineering.

Download Now!

http://www.pointsecure.com/products/patch_anl.asp
------------------------

CA is pleased to announce the availability of the beta version of CA
(Unicenter(r)) System Watchdog for OpenVMS I64. This beta version will
support HP Integrity Servers running OpenVMS 8.3 and 8.2-1. We
currently have room for up to two more beta sites and we will be closing
the beta registration soon. If you are interested in participating,
please click on the link below in order to access the CA Corporate Beta
program enrollment website:
http://supportconnectw.ca.com/public/beta/swvms25/swvms25beta.asp
If you need more information please contact Bob Puishys
(bob.puishys at ca.com)

Quintara - Quintara Update - 9 May 2007
HP Business Partner Brilliant Systems is pleased to announce general
availability of Quintara V1.6 web-based e-mail and personal productivity
software for OpenVMS. Version 1.6 is now shipping for Integrity and
AlphaServer platforms.

Version 1.6 includes the new features announced in January 2007
including notebook, mailing lists, personal file share, and junk filter
enhancements including DNSBl support.

Stop by https://trysecureserver.com or https://tryquintara.com for more
information.

Also in the Brilliant pipeline for 2007:
- Quintara V1.7 - continued enhancements to the established Quintara
interface
- Quintara SMTP - development of an all-new SMTP server for OpenVMS,
compatible with popular TCP/IP transports on OpenVMS
- Quintara POP - a specialized POP3 server for OpenVMS, tightly
integrated with Quintara.
- VoIP services OpenVMS - preliminary investigation has begun for
offering a VoIP connectivity server for OpenVMS.

Customers are invited to participate in Brilliant development projects
by forwarding their needs and suggestions to
comments at trysecureserver.com or by calling Brilliant at (888) 456-0400.

Process Software - MultiNet TCP/IP Stack v5.2 is now available.

This release offers an unprecedented number of new features that focus
on security, performance, and advanced functionality. Maintenance
customers with the update service will automatically receive a CD and
documentation set in the mail in the next several weeks. The new
features include:

* BIND 9 server supports multiple views (slip DNS), improves security in
DNSSEC (signed zones) and TSIG (signed DNS requests), supports IPv6,
improves standard conformance for over 25 RFC, and more.

* IPSEC upgrade includes a gateway interface for layer 3 tunneling
support. When used together with IPSEC, administrators can create a VPN.
IKE (or ISAKMP) functionality is also supported. IKE negotiates the
IPSec security associations and generates the required key material for
IPSec automatically.

* IPv6 has been implemented in the kernel; the Telnet, FTP, BIND 9
server, NTP, and SSH applications can use IPv6. It includes support for
a six to four interface (RFC 3056), which is a tunneling mechanism where
IPv6 packets are encapsulated into IPv4 packets.

* NTP v4.2 is a protocol designed to synchronize the clocks of computers
over a network. This release replaces DES with MD5 and includes various
bug fixes.

* SSH has been upgraded and includes a CERTTOOL utility

___________________________________

User Groups

Canada - ARLUG Celebration Renews Old Friendships, Bridges New
Relationships

Members and friends of the Edmonton Area Local Users Group (EARLUG) met
at
the Alberta Research Council on April 25, 2007 to celebrate 30 years as
Canadian Local Users Group of Digital, Compaq and HP enterprise
technology.

The day's festivities included an afternoon with management from HP's
offices in Alberta, with Glenn Bontje giving a technical session, the
presentation of a commemorative certificate to EARLUG from Encompass
Canada,
and a screening of a short video containing photo images from the
Encompass
Canada Heritage Archives.

The celebration then moved to EARLUG's usual watering hole and meeting
place
at Brewsters for an evening of great conversation, wrapping up a day of
renewing old friendships and building new relationships. For photos and
recap of the event, go to our event recap page at:
http://www.encompasscanada.com/events-edm07-eventrecap.htm

Germany http://www.decus.de/
I was privileged enough to attend and speak at the German DECUS in
Nuremberg during April. There were a large amount of sessions that were
offered everything from VMS to Storage. There was also a demo of VMS
running on a C-class blade. The German VMS Customers are just wonderful
and they are using VMS in very cool ways.

US - May 17: Nuts and Bolts of OpenVMS Storage Sneak Peek - Frank
Shargo of HP Media Services will be the moderator for the event. NUTS
AND BOLTS OF OPENVMS STORAGE On May 17th, John Fisher of HP will present
"Nuts and Bolts of OpenVMS Storage." For more information and to
register visit:
http://www.encompassus.org/events/webcasts/VMSSanStorage.cfm

ABSTRACT: Systems, database and storage administrators who support
OpenVMS systems in Storage Area Networks will gain a broader knowledge
of understanding of the setup and management of OpenVMS supported
storage subsystems. They will also review the theory and practice of
storage optimization for OpenVMS systems. Finally, these administrators
will learn how OpenVMS Storage Best Practices can be used to help
implement storage optimization.

__________________________________

In the Press

http://www.serverwatch.com/hreviews/article.php/3676196Server
Snapshots: HP Integrity rx2660 - another good article by Drew Robb

http://www.huliq.com/20315/three-hp-websites-ranked-among-world-s-best-f
or-online-support Three HP Websites Ranked Among World's Best for Online
Support

Lehet, hogy ma pont az ön kedvenc kötetét kínáljuk nagy engedménnyel?
Érdemes betérni hozzánk, naponta új akcióval várjuk!
http://ad.adverticum.net/b/cl,1,6022,165977,228257/click.prm
--------- következő rész ---------
Egy csatolt HTML állomány át lett konvertálva...