[Vms.sig-hu] Fwd: OpenVMS Update

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2008. Május. 20., K, 15:09:52 CEST

---------- Eredeti üzenet ----------
Dátum: 2008. máj. 15. Csütörtök 17:50:33
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>

Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>

Tárgy: OpenVMS Update

Dear  Distribution Lists, There is so much interesting and fun information  in this update I know you will really enjoy it.  There are also several requests for your input/feedback, and that is because we really value what you have to say.  Unless you are brand new to the distribution list you know that next week is the boot camp.  We have had a number of folks already start to show up at ZKO (Engineering office) .  Customers, Partners and speakers, its like a reunion.  This update has a customer success story from Maklee and Manor a press release from SRI and some very cool information and a nice article about a German Firms Test Integrity Port Feasibility.  Also the NASA story is pretty cool.   Normally I put in a table of contents however I never know if anyone reads this so I am not sure the table of contents is worth it. As you can see I am always happy to see VMS mentioned and I am even more happy to find customers or partners that I did not know about please feel free to forward me information, pointers, jobs anything VMS/HP related. Warm Regards,Sue ___________________________ ***** VERY IMPORTANT - AP/JP -  everyone's feedback is important but these areas responded less frequently than others PLEASE participate in this years HP User groups survey,  be part of the solution -  2008 HP Worldwide User Advocacy Survey at http://www.hpadvocacysurvey.org  ___________________________
We only have until May 23rd for the following  TIME SENSITIVE http://solutions.internet.com/index.php/4871_default/4addb13eee1d0b6ad36160a750c57694  2008 ServerWatch Product Excellence Awards  I personally would like to see the C3000 win over everyone else - but that's  up to you to decide.  I did not see a spot for VMS so we will have to influence that for next year. ____________________________________ If you would like to do an article for the next technical journal (V12) now is the time to fill out the Call for Participation (CFP) http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/cfp.html  Articles must be related to OpenVMS and technical in nature. There is not a word limit (you just can not convey a technical concept in 300 words).  You are provided a .doc template.  Articles will be due by June 16.  So far for 2008 there have been 14,933 views of the OpenVMS Technical Journal _______________________________ During the boot camp there will be an award dinner and one of the awards  I would like to give out is around user groups let me know someone that you feel impacts user groups world wide.  While we are on awards, there will be an Ambassadors spirit award, what do you think of a VMS community award?  Send me your ideas and people you think would be good candidates and why.----------------------------------------------- USER GROUPS - Do you know about Germany? Connect now official name for Encompass, ITUG and HP-Interex EMEA combined http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=08/05/12/6693666 Speaking of -  are you going to be in Mannheim, Germany in November for the community Connect Europe 2008 event?  You need to submit your sessions NOW, this is cross OS - OpenVMS, UX, NSK Linux, Storage, Hardware.  They have an amazing team putting things together - This is the HP User event for Europe.  If you are a partner there are opportunities for a booth.  Do not delay, lets make this best ever.  Hopefully their will be local tour guides!! http://www.communityconnecteurope.org/ Who is going to be in Las Vegas either as a speaker or an attendee? I have never been before. https://www.encompassus.org/events/conference/index.cfm   Don't forget if you are in Las Vegas there will be SIG meetings (special interest groups).   Mark Hurd, Ann Livermore and Andy Mott are the HP Keynotes for Las Vegas.  Other than the executives I was looking at the list of Encompass Pre-Confrence Seminars.  You have to take a look at this https://www.encompassus.org/events/conference/2008/precons/index.cfm   ok I know these speakers either in person or by reputation. I was really surprised that we could get seven people so outstanding in their field at one time.  If you can talk to Laura Chappell she does know what VMS is and is very good with TCP/IP  Jan Mark is a great speaker and also very knowledgeable.  Honestly every single one of the seminars sound excellent Ken and Keith are VMS Ambassadors and do a great job on their seminars..  Storage and NSK both and once again great speakers with good reputations.  You think about it, at any other event with a list of seven there is usually 2 good speakers the rest are fill.  Not the case here. (ok, that might have been a bit blunt) ______________________________________________  Sue's Fav's If you would like a few hints on what to expect at the boot camp, listen to the latest pod cast on openvms.orghttp://www.openvms.org/pages.php?page=VAU-2008-04-28_19 This is such an amazing story from NASA you are going to love it, many thanks to John S, KEEPING PIONEER 10 SPACECRAFT COMMUNICATION ALIVE  http://www.strobedata.com/home/pioneer10.html  2007 OpenVMS.org Readers' Choice Awards http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=08/05/12/4389890 This is so cool, Google has the ability to do patent searches, so one of our VMS Champions Andreas F did a Google search on VAX and VMS this is his research http://www.google.com/patents?zoom=4&q=vax+vms&btnG=Search+Patents ------------------------------------------------------------------ German Firms Test Integrity Port Feasibility Germany's TÜV Thüringen e.V. and TSG mbH, with assistance from Migration Specialties, conducted a preliminary assessment of porting an OpenVMS application running on an Alpha DS15 to HP's OpenVMS Integrity platform.  Migration Specialties assessed the portability of MACRO-32 components in what is primarily a DEC BASIC application.  Early indications are the port will be easy and successful.  Much of the credit for the ease of the port goes to the high quality of the software we assessed.  It is well organized and documented.  HP gets credit was well for providing an excellent migration path to OpenVMS on Integrity. Migration Specialties offers modern solutions for legacy hardware & software.  Look to us for VAX, Alpha, HP1000, PDP-11, and DG Nova & Eclipse replacement options.  We also offer OpenVMS, C, RPG,  COBOL, DIBOL, MACRO-32, application migration, and data conversion services.  Visit our web site at www.MigrationSpecialties.com for more information.  ------------------------------------------------Customer Success Story Folks here is an excellent success story from Maklee and MANOR on Alpha to Integrity Migration with excellent results  www.openvms.org MANOR + Maklee = Successful MigrationMANOR is the largest chain of department stores in Switzerland, with approximately 11,200 employees in 87 different sites. MANORâ019s department stores are part of the MANOR department store group, which includes the furniture stores FLY, the sport outfitters Athleticum as well as supermarkets and restaurants. MANORâ019s revenue from its department stores in 2007 was 1.8 billion Euros.OpenVMS & Oracle are at the core of MANORâ019s IT environment, satisfying the companyâ019s needs for high performance computing at all department stores (for inventory, sales etc.)To support the growth of the business, MANOR was looking for a higher level of performance and throughput. In February 2008, MANOR performed an Alpha vs. Itanium benchmark, benchmarking the production environment (OpenVMS AlphaServer GS1280 1.15 Ghz) vs. HP Integrity server rx7640 1.6 Ghz with Oracle 10g. Maklee was engaged by MANOR to make parts of the current production environment run in the most optimal way possible on the Integrity servers (preferably 20% faster than Alpha). This goal had to be achieved without changing the application itself.The results were surprisingly positive: after tuning the Itanium server (rx7640) it ran 50% faster than Alpha. Maklee has raised the â01Cperformance barâ01D for MANOR.MANOR followed Makleeâ019s recommendations and ordered two Integrity servers rx6600 (for MANORâ019s dual site environment). MANOR began final testing in March/April 2008 and before implementing the new servers in production, performed an evaluation installation of Oracle RAC on OpenVMS. Maklee assisted MANOR with the RAC installation and tuned the RAC environment for optimal performance. Maklee assisted MANOR in tuning the new Itanium servers before they went â01Cliveâ01D. MANOR achieved a performance improvement that couldnâ019t be expressed in percentage but in factors!After completing testing, MANOR (database administrators and OpenVMS/San team) & Maklee migrated 10 of 50 production Oracle databases to the RX6600. These run in a mixed architecture cluster (Alpha & Itanium) on OpenVMS in a dual site environment (nodes approx. 5km apart).Thanks to Maklee, MANOR has managed to migrate much faster than initially planned.  To find out how Maklee can help you â013 please contact info at maklee.com. ______________________________________ Press Release from SRI  Software Resources International Establishes Subsidiary in North America. In support of our rapidly growing business in North America, Software Resources International has established a wholly owned subsidiary to handle its activities in Canada, the U.S.A. and Mexico. The subsidiary, Stromasys Inc., is located in Raleigh, North Carolina. This investment is in-line with our expansion strategy of increasing our market presence regionally and globally. The president of Stromasys Inc. is Mr. Zul Abbany, who has many years of experience in Marketing, Channels, Sales and Subsidiary management at Digital Equipment Corp. Canada, the ABB Group and SAS.    Bill Driest, an experienced technology veteran with over twenty years of Enterprise-wide sales experience is the Business Development Manager for the North American Operations. Darrell Wright, with over 25 years experience with the VMS operating system, as a system administrator and Software developer, joins as a System Engineer. Ms. Becky Harris, with years of experience in Sales, Marketing, Administration and Business Development is the Stromasys Office Manager. Lynda Jones continues in her role of managing key Value-Added Resellers in the U.S.A. Stromasys Inc can be reached at: 5410 Trinity Road Suite 310Raleigh, NC, 27607Phone: 919 239 8450Fax: 919 239 8451zul.abbany at stromasys.com worldwide website : www.softresint.com  Software Resources International develops and markets virtual systems based on legacy computer hardware to facilitate unmodified, high performance execution of mature operating systems, layered software and customer applications. Software Resources International is a privately held company with its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, a service and support center in The Netherlands, R&D in the Netherlands and Russia and business operations worldwide.Stromasys is the new corporate name of Software Resources International that will be introduced globally in May 2008.

--------- következő rész ---------
Egy csatolt HTML állomány át lett konvertálva...