[Vms.sig-hu] Fwd: VMS Update October - November 2009

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2009. Nov. 20., P, 19:20:10 CET

---------- Eredeti üzenet ----------
Dátum:2009. november 20., péntek, 05:55:06
Feladó:Ramani, Sujatha <sujatha.ramani at hp.com>

Címzett:Undisclosed recipients at ismeretlen

Tárgy:VMS Update October - November 2009

Message from Office of OpenVMS programs

Nov  19, 2009

VMS Champions

Sujatha  Ramani, Office of OpenVMS Programs

VMS Update October -November 2009

Dear VMS Champions,

I am very happy to bring you the VMS update for October and November 09.  The biggest news this edition carries is the field test announcement of the OpenVMS 8.4! This is a momentous for all of us in the HP OpenVMS engineering organisation!  We have had more than 77 downloads within the first 24 hours of the announcement. Please read on....

1.0  Time sensitive:

The Germany Connect symposium is underway. Here again the link with all information and the actual program of all talks at the Germany Symposium: http://www.connect-community.de/Events/Symposium2009/

2.0  HP engineering : We are very happy and proud to announce the Field Test for our OpenVMS 8.4 license.  OpenVMS Version 8.4 will be a generally available release for the Integrity servers and Alpha platforms. This release builds upon the capabilities provided by OpenVMS Version 8.3 for Alpha and Version 8.3-1H1 for Integrity server systems. Please click to know  more about all the  new features included in the OpenVMS Version 8.4 release:

http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=09/11/16/6502514     or http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvmsft/

2.1  Virtual Library System (VLS) is a single-node solution that offers fast data protection and backup in complex SAN environments with very good performance and capacity, www.hp.com/go/vls

OpenVMS and the Archive Backup System, ABS V4.5 will support Virtual Library System de-duplication in 2010 on Integrity and Alpha. Currently the VLS storage device is supported with OpenVMS without the de-duplication feature support. There will be a beta program in Jan 2010 for key customers who would like to test their OpenVMS backup operations with VLS de-duplication.

Please write to Openvms.programs at hp.com  if any of you or your customers would be interested in participating in this beta test program (Jan 2010) for VLS de-duplication with OpenVMS (Integrity & Alpha).

2.2  HP OpenVMS Shadowing team has fixed one critical case reported by SSE recently and have released patches for all applicable versions. We advice all customers using AMCVP feature of volume shadowing to apply this patch.

HP OpenVMS Volume Shadowing: Data Inconsistency due to AMCVP feature of OpenVMS Volume Shadowing:- OpenVMS Volume shadowing software was released with a new feature Automatic Mini-Copy Volume Processing (AMCVP) in OpenVMS 8.3 version on Alpha and Itanium platforms. This feature enables a Mini-Copy to be initiated automatically at the time that Volume processing occurs to throw a member out of the shadow-set. This feature is enabled through MULTIUSE keyword in the Host-Based Minimerge (HBMM) policies.

When the shadow set member is manually removed with DISMOUNT/POLICY=MINICOPY, shadowing software works as expected.

AMCVP is a shadow set enhancement feature. HP discovered a potential application data inconsistency issue in some instances and configurations of OpenVMS version 8.3 when the AMCVP feature is enabled. When AMCVP *is* enabled, *and* a shadow-set member "fails" out and is re-inserted via a MOUNT/POL=MINICOPY, then data inconsistencies may result between members of the shadow-set. When these data inconsistencies occur, OpenVMS version 8.3 provides no alert messages.

The problem is fixed and new shadowing patch is now available for customer download. HP advises the customers using OpenVMS Volume Shadowing software with the AMCVP feature enabled on Alpha and Itanium Servers, running with OpenVMS V8.3 and later versions to apply below patches.

                Alpha kit: VMS83A_SHADOWING-V0500

                IA64 kit : VMS83I_SHADOWING-V0300

                VMS831H1I_SHADOWING-V0300

2.3  HP Global Workload Manager Version 4.0 for OpenVMS on HP Integrity server Systems' is available @ http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/integrity/integrity_gwlm.html

3.0  Partner Page:

3.1  SCI To Present at the Connect Deutschland IT-Symposium 2009
Darmstadtium, Darmstadt

Connect Deutschland, the HP business technology community in Germany, has chosen Software Concepts to present at the IT-Symposium 2009 to be held at the Darmstadtium in Darmstadt, Germany on November 18th - 20th.  Known in the industry as the leading provider of highly sophisticated IT system management worldwide, SCI will be presenting the following session:

OpenVMS Integrity Migration Experiences

Since the release of OpenVMS on Integrity in early 2005, HP has been promoting the ease of migration to OpenVMS on Integrity servers. But, is it really that easy? With proper planning and execution, and some experiences we'll share in this session, we've found that migrations can be almost as easy as HP promotes.

This session is a study of multiple, real-world, customer migrations: two mission critical OpenVMS clusters (1 VAX, 1 Alpha) to 3 Integrity clusters and 5 standalone VAX servers migrated to standalone Integrity servers. This session will focus more on the project level aspects, the planning, design, implementation and management of the migrations, drawing on the experiences of actual migrations. We'll discuss the processes and methodologies we've developed doing migrations, the problems we've encountered and how we solved them, etc.

This will not be "yet-another-integrity-porting" session -- this is the real thing, based on real customer experiences.  Presented by Brad McCusker, formerly of HP's OpenVMS engineering group.  Brad manages SCI's OpenVMS System Services business.

For more information about Software Concepts International visit our website at www.sciinc.com.  We also invite you to follow us on twitter at http://twitter.com/SoftwareConcept

3.2  Announcing CA(r) Console Management for OpenVMS r3.1 Beta :- CA would like to announce the recruitment process has started for the beta of CA Console Management for OpenVMS r3.1.  We are looking for beta sites on both OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS I64 platforms.  Clients who are using the Console product and are interested in learning more or signing up for the beta can do so at:

http://supportconnectw.ca.com/public/beta/cnslmgt31/cnslmgt31beta.asp

(note you need to log into your supportconnect.ca.com account to reach the beta site)

This release includes support for SSH to connect to remote consoles, and for communication with the failover server. Other features include:

.       IPv6 support

.       Support for 500 console connections

.       Full support of system halt sequences

.       Scan profiles for OpenVMS V8 and for Integrity servers

.       System icons for the latest Integrity servers

This limited beta is filling up fast, so don't delay putting in your application. If you have questions or need more information I can be reached at Elaine.Ritchie at ca.com

3.3  Lua for OpenVMS :- Lua is a portable, simple, lightweight and speedy object-oriented programming language.  Ideal for scripting and for extending application environments, and for general programming tasks, Lua 5.1.4 is now available for HP OpenVMS I64 and OpenVMS Alpha from HoffmanLabs LLC.  The HoffmanLabs LLC OpenVMS implementation of Lua includes the Lua interpreter and a shareable image presenting the Lua callable interface, and can be embedded and integrated into OpenVMS applications.  Lua is easily installed onto and easily removed from OpenVMS using HP's PCSI software package management tool.  Commercial, trial and hobbyist licensing and commercial support options are available. http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1425

HoffmanLabs LLC provides custom HP VAX, Alpha and Integrity Itanium hardware and HP StorageWorks installation, upgrades and maintenance, HP OpenVMS software upgrades and Integrity migrations, and configuration and management and troubleshooting, and custom OpenVMS application and kernel software development work.

3.4  AdminsOTS: Browsing OpenVMS Reports By Bill Davis

There's a new flash demo explaining how you can view ADMINS report output (EXCEL output, for example) automatically when you run the report on OpenVMS. Posted by Bill Davis at 5:33 PM. Labels: ADMINS OpenVMS Reporting - http://adminsots.blogspot.com/

3.5  Datasheet: Backup Software - Archive Backup Client For OpenVMS

ABC for OpenVMS systems allows you to include your OpenVMS servers in your heterogeneous IBM TSM backup solution. With ABC you can back up, archive, restore, query and manage OpenVMS files stored on TSM servers as a logical extension. For more information:

Data Storage Connection Downloads - http://www.datastorageconnection.com/

3.6  Alpha Emulator Progress Report from Migration specialties :-
TRU64 UNIX Support
Our focus over the past month has been booting the TRU64 UNIX O/S on the Alpha emulator.  We are pleased to report the following results to date:

.       TRU64 installation CD successfully loads and boots.

.       TRU64 successfully installs to a virtual disk.

.       TRU64 successfully boots and configures on a virtual disk.

We now have OpenVMS and TRU64 UNIX running on the emulator.  More information on our emulator development project is available at:

www.migrationspecialties.com/VAXAlphaEmulator.html.

A very big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this VMS update and making this edition informative.  Trust you found this edition of the VMS update useful and informative. If you need us to include anything in the next update, please send them to me and  keep your suggestions coming to OpenVMS.programs at hp.com.