[Vms.sig-hu] Fw: OpenVMS Update November 2010!

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2010. Nov. 23., K, 08:00:35 CET

----------Eredeti üzenet----------Dátum:2010. november 23., kedd, 05:10:33
Feladó:"Ramani, Sujatha"
Tárgy:OpenVMS Update November 2010!
Címzett:Undisclosed recipients at ismeretlen

TO :- VMS Champions
SUBJECT: -VMS update 1: November 2010

This is our first issue in hp’s new financial year FY 11. We have brought in information that will be useful and gainful for you.
I trust that this new format will help you get a quick glance of all the contents in this issue of the OpenVMS update. Click on the pointers below and get full details.

1.      OpenVMS Engineering update :-

a.       TUDs
b.      VTJ
c.     New CRTL API - decc$get_channel()
d.    Update 400.

2.       Customers page :-

a.    Success Story – Quest Diagnostics
b.    gSOAP

3.       Partner Page :-

a.       OpenVMS_certified_for_Oracle
b.      PointSecure
c.     Stromasys
d.    Oracle Rdb and Oracle DB on OpenVMS Tech Forums
e.     Software Concepts international.
4.       Community news!

Don’t miss the hp OpenVMS blog on OpenVMS , OpenVMS blogs

A big thank you to all who contributed to this edition of the OpenVMS update. Wish you all a very happy and fun filled holiday season and may the new year bring in the best tidings for all of us!

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Sujatha Ramani
Global Lead- Customer & Partner Technical programs-Open VMS

1.      OpenVMS Engineering update :-

a.       We successfully completed the TUDs in Europe  last month in  Netherlands, Sweden, Austria UK, France and Germany. In Austria, customers came from 6 neighbouring countries for our TUDs! We met over 250 customers. This year’s TUDs got a overwhelming response from the customers and we are motivated to achieve  more in FY 11.  The OpenVMS engineering team met with some of our large OpenVMS  customers in these countries and we have very valuable inputs from them. We presented  nearly 12 topics in each country. We covered over 250 customers during these TUDs. The feedback has been extremely positive from customers & our internal BCS folks who sponsored these TUDs in Europe. Amsterdam has around 90 attendees. Austria has participant from 9 countries!

b.      We have received 5 abstracts for VTJv16. If you still have your abstract in the making rush them to me at http://www.openvms.compaq.com/openvms/journal/cfp.html

c.     We have introduced a NEW OpenVMS CRTL API decc$get_channel(), in OpenVMS V84 Update-V0500.
      Adding OpenVMS C RTL decc$get_channel() API function

      The OpenVMS C RTL decc$get_channel() API function is introduced to
      obtain the channel number for sockets and mailbox that are opened
      by the fopen() call.  This decc$get_channel() API function checks
      the following:
      i)  If fab$l_dev of the fab structure has the flag DEV$M_MBX set
          and returns fab$l_stv, which has the mailbox channel number.
      ii) If issocket of the FCB structure is set and returns the
          fcb->channel.

      The syntax is as follows:
        unsigned short int decc$get_channel(__FILE *fp)
        Arguments:  FILE *
        Returns  : unsigned short int

      The decc$get_channel () API returns the channel number:
            1) (fab$l_stv) for Mailbox if the fab$l_dev has DEV$M_MBX set.
            2) (fcb->channel) for socket if fcb->issocket is set.

      On failure returns 0 with errno set to EINVAL
        Images Affected:

      - [SYSLIB]DECC$SHR.EXE
      - [SYSLIB]DECC$SHR_EV56.EXE (for ALPHA)

d.    We are happy to announce the Update 400.  This is the latest Update from OpenVMS Engineering released in ITRC early in October 2010. One of the key focus areas addressed in this update has been improving the overall OpenVMS Quality of  OpenVMS V8.4 that was released in June this year. The release has several new features and enhancements adopted well by customers and partners. The August 2010 Update following the OpenVMS V8.4 release has added support for the New Generation Integrity Server Blades (based on the Itanium 9300 Processor family). One of the key objectives of Update has been to provide fixes/solutions to customers for issues/problems that have been reported on V8.4 and the subsequent updates. Another important objective was to constantly  improve the overall quality of OpenVMS. Some of the key deliverables in this Update kit are :
·         Fixes for defects found within the OpenVMS organization following the V8.4 and subsequent updates deemed important for customers
·         Roll up of fixes for issues reported by customers on V8.4 and earlier releases of OpenVMS as well.
·         Support for the 8GB Memory DIMMs on the New Generation Integrity Server Blades.
     OpenVMS Engineering encourages customers to install Update 400 along with the dependent kits once they migrate to OpenVMS 8.4. check out itrc.hp.com

2.       Customers page :-

a.    The Quest Diagnostics story is published now:
Case study: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA0-8461ENW&cc=us&lc=en
Slide set: http://reference2win.corp.hp.com/Content.aspx?MaterialId=306808&Mode=View

This story focuses on how Quest Diagnostics delivers test results quickly and maintains continuous operations across its labs with HP OpenVMS.
b.    gSOAP on OpenVMS Blog: gSOAP on OpenVMS V0.9 Released  :- http://gsoaponopenvms.blogspot.com/2010/11/gsoap-on-openvms-v09-released.html

3.       Partner Page :-

a.       Oracle 10.2.0.4 is now certified on OpenVMS 8.4  http://support.oracle.com certification page.  This is there now.

    HP OpenVMS Alpha    3 Versions(8.4,8.3,8.2)
    HP OpenVMS Itanium  3 Versions(8.4,8.3,8.2)

For  a tutorial on how to find the certification matrix, for those who have not searched for it before, log onto the web site http://support.oracle.com (SS0 for oracle.com accounts) folder tab within the window will have "Certification" enter that folder  Note -> that tab could be hidden base on the size of your display.  you may need to click a folder tab called "More" along the same folder list where you see "Dashboard".

In the certification search frame, you can type "RDBMS" and the pull down will offer you a selection, chose the one with 10g in it.
then select release "10.2.0.4"  then click "search" you will then see a menu with "Operating Systems" as a choice.  Note there is also a link for "Oracle Real Application Clusters 10.2.0.4.0) in that display.
b.      PointSecure would like to let you know that our PointAudit and PatchAnlayzer applications have been updated to handle the recent changes to HP’s patch services.  They will continue to provide the same great value they always have by allowing you to scan your systems and compare patches installed on your OpenVMS system with the OpenVMS patch listing allowing you to keep your systems up to date with the most current patches.  For more information, visit http://www.pointsecure.com. “
c.     Stromasys is making it easier to access, test and use its virtual VAX and Alpha products in a broader market. Its free Personal Alpha product, designed for standard 32 bit Windows laptops, that has been downloaded by 1000's of users, is now also free for commercial use. With a growing interest in alternative platforms, Stromasys will announce a full range of Linux virtual system products, and virtual VAX and Alpha clients for VMware ESX4.
In addition, Stromasys has established an e-commerce website (www.stromasys.com, then click on the e-shop button) for selected Linux and VMware based virtual systems that will soon be available. All our products are as also available via our resellers.
The Stromasys e-commerce website is also a simple way to order on-line the HP transfer licenses for the transfer of OpenVMS or TRU64 and the layered products to virtual VAX or Alpha systems.
d.    Online Registration for Oracle Rdb and Oracle DB on OpenVMS Tech Forums.   As was previously announced, the dates and location for these Forums are:
December 8-9, North Ryde, NSW, Australia.   Click here  http://www.oracle.com/dm/11h1global/60381_oracle_database_sdyney.html
e.     Software Concepts international has launched a success story titled “Filling the Void When Your VMS System Manager Retires” is attached for your reading.