[Vms.sig-hu] Folks is this of interest to you Ingres (VMS database vendor) goes opensource (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2004. Aug. 13., P, 13:21:47 CEST

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:19:21 -0400
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: Folks is this of interest to you Ingres (VMS database vendor)
goes opensource

Many thanks to John for forwarding.

Warm Regards,
Sue

-----Original Message-----
From: Malmberg, John (OpenVMS)
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 10:04 AM
To: Skonetski, Susan
Subject: CA Ingres has gone open source - VMS database vendor.

Sue,

This was brought to my attention through comp.os.vms postings and
other
postings.  There are many VMS sites that run CA Ingres.

This PDF file gives the detail, and at the end it does explicitly
mention that Ingres currently supports OpenVMS.

http://www3.ca.com/Files/WhitePapers/ingres_opensource_wp.pdf

Prior to this announcement Ingres licenses for OpenVMS systems were
very

expensive, and this price was used for part of the justification of
moving to non VMS database systems, as the price was tied to the CPU
power of the host system.

So this can be very important to our customers, as it could dramatically

change their operational costs.  Especially in migrating from VAX to
Alpha.

CA Ingres is heavily used in the manufacturing environments, which
under

  the current U.S. economy are not expanding operations much, but are
keeping many older systems running.  So CA was primarily getting
support

revenue from these systems, but not new sales.

I do not know what their plan is for OpenVMS on Itanium.  Their open
source support statement does not indicate a specific platform.

They are also offering a $1,000,000 programming contest for solutions
that assist in the migration of their competitor's databases to Ingres.

The solution has to run on Windows, Linux, UNIX at a minimum.  The
specific UNIX flavor is not specified.

A Google search shows that modules are available for both Perl and
Python to access Ingres, and nothing in the rules state that the
solution has to be compiled.

I am assuming that current HP employees are not eligible as CA has a
business relationship with HP.  If I am wrong there, it might be a nice
prize for someone.

Official rules for the challenge:

http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Collateral.asp?CID=61137 links to
another
PDF file with the real rules.

With the addition of CA Ingres to the open source license, it means that

consultants and hobbiests can now use several major databases on
their
personal OpenVMS systems for training.

-John