[Vms.sig-hu] Official HP Press Release (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2004. Dec. 27., H, 10:14:15 CET

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:10:52 -0500
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: Official HP Press Release

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2004/041216a.html

HP Extends Commitment to Itanium 2-based Integrity Server
Leadership,
Invests $3 Billion Over Three Years

Company accelerates application availability, innovates on system
design
beyond the processor and virtualization solutions

PALO ALTO, Calif., Dec. 16, 2004
--------

HP today announced an investment of more than $3 billion over the
next
three years designed to vault Intel Itanium 2-based HP Integrity
servers
to the leadership position in the $20 billion market currently served by
RISC processors.

Building on strong Integrity server sales momentum, this investment will
span research and development, server and system software design,
partner-led application solutions, and sales and marketing.

In related news today, Intel Corporation reached agreement with HP to
hire HP's Intel(r) Itanium(r) processor design team based in Ft.
Collins, Colo., strengthening its investment in the Itanium architecture
and bolstering the development of multi-core, multi-threaded
processors.

This agreement is designed to accelerate broader industry adoption of
the Itanium architecture in Intel's target markets of RISC replacement,
high-performance technical computing and mainframe replacement.
More
information regarding this announcement is available in a news release
at http://www.intel.com/pressroom.

HP expects that Itanium-based Integrity server unit sales will grow to
more than half of HP's Business Critical Server unit sales by the end of
calendar year 2005 and to 70 percent by the end of 2006.

"As HP and Intel continue to invest in server innovation and Itanium,
Integrity servers become a 'must have' competitive weapon to drive
customer value for the next decade and beyond," said Carly Fiorina, HP
chairman and chief executive officer. "Together with Intel, we are
driving Itanium and Integrity servers as the premier server platform for
customers' most demanding workloads."

"With today's significant investment announcement from key partners
HP
and Intel, customers can count on Microsoft's continued leadership
delivering solutions based on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server for
Itanium 2-based HP Integrity servers," said Steve Ballmer, chief
executive officer, Microsoft Corporation. "Microsoft has been working
closely with HP and Intel on a range of industry-leading solutions that
offer compelling value to our customers who require the highest levels
of scalability for their mission-critical high-end business applications
and database solutions."

"HP Integrity servers running Microsoft Windows are meeting our
business
intelligence needs. We are now reaping the benefits of a 30 to over 100
percent performance improvement that enables us to make better
business
decisions faster and also gives us the headroom to sustain our 8
percent
annual growth rate," said Dave Geiver, vice president of technology,
PREMIER Bankcard. "Not only did HP offer an exceptional systems and
support solution with the business intelligence applications we needed,
but also HP's responsive, knowledgeable staff helped get us up and
running quickly. It is clear that HP really cares about our success."

Broader partner-led solutions

HP's plans include co-investing with Intel to broaden the independent
software vendor (ISV) application portfolio for Integrity servers and to
expand ISV go-to-market programs. The application ecosystem stands
at
more than 2,900 applications today and is expected to grow to more
than
4,500 during 2005.

"We have built a strong foundation for Integrity servers with the
leading partner applications and solution infrastructure in place. We
are now increasing our focus on delivering the complete application
environments required by our customers in key target markets spanning
telecommunications, financial services, government, healthcare and
manufacturing," said Rich Marcello, senior vice president and general
manager, Business Critical Servers, HP.

Investment in server and system software design

Today, the broad range of HP Integrity servers offers superior
price/performance over RISC-based competitors. With the increased
investment, HP's design innovation in chipsets and systems engineering
continues to focus on value-add beyond the microprocessor to deliver
the
leading performance, scalability and reliability in the industry.

HP's server design innovation includes work across the breadth of the
Integrity server line, with expanded focus on growth in the highly
competitive two- to four-processor server market. Current development
work is underway to deliver leading price/performance and customer
value
for UNIX(r), Windows(r), Linux and OpenVMS customers in this market
segment. In addition, HP plans to introduce Itanium-based NonStop
servers in 2005.

As the only vendor to offer customers a choice of four operating
environments on a single platform, HP continues to make significant
investments in system software for mission-critical environments. As the
market leader in UNIX systems, HP is aggressively driving innovation in
HP-UX 11i, with particular emphasis on enhancing the virtualization,
high-availability and disaster-tolerance capabilities of its enterprise
UNIX operating system. For Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server, HP
continues close technical collaboration with Microsoft to provide a
trusted and scalable platform rivaling today's RISC servers. In
addition, HP has established a dedicated engineering team to optimize
Linux on Integrity servers.

Next month, the production release of OpenVMS is expected to be
widely
available for Integrity servers. With OpenVMS on Integrity servers, the
base of HP AlphaServer system customers running OpenVMS - across
telecommunications, stock exchanges, government agencies and
defense
markets - will have a powerful enterprise platform for their solutions
and a long-term growth path.

HP's virtualization technologies are a cornerstone of its Integrity
server leadership strategy. For example, HP expects to deliver virtual
machines for HP Integrity servers in the second half of 2005, enabling
customers to run multiple virtual servers on a single Itanium processor,
optimizing server utilization. As previously announced, HP is enhancing
its HP Virtual Server Environment by providing common management for
scale up and scale out virtualization in multi-OS environments.