[Vms.sig-hu] Updated OpenVMS Information (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2004. Már. 2., K, 11:14:29 CET

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:25:33 -0500
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: Updated OpenVMS Information

Dear Folks,

Attached is some additional information you may find useful.  I will

1. URL to an article on the Inquirer regarding TCO white paper
2. URL to new VMS Diskeeper from Networking Dynamics
3. Programming Joke url
4. Feedback on the VMS Technical Journal
5. designs on silicone chips URLS
6. Encompass points newsletter - Please sign up for this if you want it
regularly - Please notice the security webcast on March 18

As always please make sure to check the HP VMS website
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/ and OpenVMS.org
http://www.openvms.org on a
regular basis for updated information.

Warm Regards,
Sue

1. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14282 - Article on the latest
white paper on TCO (HP, IBM, SUN). Thanks to VMS Champion Pat
Keogh

2. http://www.vmsdiskeeper.com/ VMS Diskeeper(r) 7.2 for Open VMS
and
Alpha computers from Networking Dynamics

3. http://weblogs.asp.net/Mnolton/archive/2004/02/19/76360.aspx -
Joke
for programers - thanks to Arthur Lampert - VMS Ambassador

4. The OpenVMS Technical Journal released on Feb 2nd has recevied
14,089
views so far. Attached is some of the feedback
http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/journal

	I wish to say just one thing:  "THANKS YOU AND YOUR
TEAM"   for
holding the spirit of those people who lived Digital, 	VMS, and
so many
things in such a different way from other around this industry. I don't
mean better, but different. 	I would like to see the same style in
other companies, other platforms, other technologies, ....

And

	Many thanks for another packed issue!  I'm eager to dive into
this  Vol-3.  Keep up the great work!
_
5. Here is a site that has some very interesting artwork created on HP
silicone chips. Thanks to Malcolm Birch, HP

http://molecularexpressions.com/creatures/index.html

This Bird's For You - A very interesting hummingbird discovered on a
Hewlett-Packard 7100LC PA-RISC chip.

http://molecularexpressions.com/creatures/pages/buffalo.html

Sport Model Tyrannosaurus rex - The microprocessor in the Digital
Equipment Corporation Rigel chipset contained a Tyrannosaurus rex
driving a convertible sports car, which was intended as a pun on the
then-current competitive marketing campaign to brand VAX and other
CISC
(complex instruction-set computer) chips as dinosaurs.

http://molecularexpressions.com/  Check out the main page also for
some
really cool micro art of chemicals, and if you feel like feeling
insignificant, check out the presentation called times 10.

________

6.
Subject: Encompass Points - February 2004

_Encompass Points_

Issue 13, February 2004

Thank you for subscribing to the newsletter _Encompass Points_!

To view this publication online, go to
http://www.encompassUS.org/news/points/index.html.

Encompass Points is a monthly e-mail newsletter for Encompass, an
independent, volunteer-driven organization providing HP users with
opportunities for education, peer networking, and vendor advocacy.

Issue Contents:
-Time to Renew

-Tru64 UNIX Webcast Sponsored by Encompass and MindIQ a Success

-Sign Up for Next Free Encompass and MindIQ Webcast

-Encompass Local User Group News

-New!  New England Local User Group

-ESILUG Meeting on Adaptive Enterprise - Washington DC Area

-Take the TRU64 Online Survey

-Let your Voice be Heard - Participate in HP User Group Advocacy

-Terry Shannon Takes a Look at HP Reorganization

-Join Encompass Special Interest Groups

-Events Calendar

-We Want To Hear From You

TIME TO RENEW
Many of you will be receiving membership renewal information shortly.
Make sure to update your information and return along with payment.
Don't miss out on all the exciting membership benefits in 2004! Renew
at
http://www.encompassUS.org/membership/join.html today.

TRU64 WEBCASTS SPONSORED BY ENCOMPASS AND MINDIQ A SUCCESS

Recently, the Encompass Enterprise Unix Special Interest Group
collaborated with MindIQ to present a free Webcast.  Paul Manno of
MindIQ discussed the transition path from Tru64 UNIX operating
systems
to Linux or HP-UX. Participants were able to learn about OS platform,
file system options and organization, kernel tuning, device support and
migration resources.

Isaac Chute, HP's senior product planner for Tru64 UNIX, also presented
a free Webcast titled "The Path Forward" on February 19. The Webcast
focused on Tru64 UNIX Version 5.1B and 5.1B-1 products and provide a
technical overview of the new features made available in these
releases,
such as Big Pages and new hardware support. It also included technical
overviews of the new functionality delivered in TruCluster Server
Version 5.1B and 5.1B-1.

Due to the success of these Webcasts, Encompass and MindIQ are
planning
to partner on additional free-to-member Webcasts in the future. To
learn
more about how to take advantage of this opportunity visit
http://www.encompassUS.org/events/webcasts.html .

SIGN UP FOR THE NEXT FREE ENCOMPASS AND MINDIQ WEBCAST
John Wisniewski, HP OpenVMS Engineer/OpenVMS Ambassador, will
present
"Security for OpenVMS Enterprise Applications" on March 18 at 1:00 PM
EST.

Topics will include:
* In the news: Hackers and Crackers and Vice Oh My!
* What is Security in 2004?
* Your Company's Security Policy
* Securing the Internet Backdoors
* Why use OpenVMS as a Secure Server
* Securing and Monitoring OpenVMS systems
* Hardening OpenVMS systems with System Detective
* The importance of reporting and how PointAudit can make it easier

Sign up today for this beneficial free Webcast at
http://www.encompassUS.org/events/webcasts.html .

ENCOMPASS LOCAL USER GROUP NEWS
*New!  NEW ENGLAND LOCAL USER GROUP
The Encompass New England Local User Group held a meeting on
February
18, featuring presentations by Tom Cox, from HP Storage division. Mr.
Cox presented on the current SAN/NAS products and where each would
fit
in an environment. He also demonstrated Open View Storage Area
Manager
and spoke on some of the tools available for the SAN switches.

LUGs are a key part of the Encompass community. There are 13
Encompass
LUGs which offer members an opportunity to interact with fellow IT
professionals face-to-face, close to home. These LUGS host local
meetings and events that allow customers to stay connected with HP
developments. Become involved with a user group in your area to
interact
directly with others in a friendly, familiar forum. To find a LUG in
your area visit http://www.encompassUS.org/community/LUGS/

*ESILUG MEETING ON ADAPTIVE ENTERPRISE - Washington DC Area

ESILUG, an Encompass Local User Group in the Washington, DC, area
will
meet on Wednesday, March 31, from 1-4pm. We will hear three top-
notch
speakers from HP tell us about the Adaptive Enterprise - what it is, and
how trends in technology enable it. This is a free meeting. Bring your
boss too! To register or to find out more, please visit
http://encompasserve.org/lugs/esilug/. Our speakers from HP will be:
- John Loether, Senior Technology Consultant
- Mark Campbell, East Region Business Development Manager Adaptive
Enterprise Solutions
- Ken Siegler, West Region Business Development Manager Adaptive
Enterprise Solutions

TAKE THE TRU64 ONLINE SURVEY!
Utilize HP User Group Online Advocacy and take the Tru64 Online Survey
at http://www.hpuseradvocacy.org/index.cfm?source=encompass to
keep the
Tru64 Development and Support Teams updated on your transition
plans
from Tru64 to alternative platforms. Your information is needed to help
the Tru64 Development and Support Teams measure current plans of
the
Tru64 community for future transitions.

This survey will monitor awareness and use of the Alpha Retain Trust
(ART) Program and its current components. In addition you can sign up
participate in a Tru64 UNIX to HP-UX pilot transition program with HP.

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD - PARTICIPATE IN HP USER GROUP
ADVOCACY

Make the most of your membership benefits and let your voice be
heard by
utilizing HP User Group Online Advocacy, your direct line of
communication to HP decision-makers and business leaders.

Participation is easy using our web-based tools such as issue
submission, me-too voting, surveys and instapolls. Visit the HP User
Group Online Advocacy Web site and enter your e-mail address. Start
submitting your own Issues or view and agree on popular issues
already
submitted in the me-too voting process. It only takes five me-too votes
to escalate an Issue to HP management! Your feedback is presented to
HP
for an official response, which is then posted to our Web site for your
review.

Submit your Issues today at
http://www.hpuseradvocacy.org/index.cfm?source=encompass

TERRY SHANNON TAKES A CLOSER LOOK AT HP REORGANIZATION
Slightly more than a year and a half since HP acquired Compaq, Terry
Shannon takes a closer look
(http://www.encompassUS.org/news/TShannon0204.html) at the
company's
reorganization, including shifts in management, layoffs and the future.

ENCOMPASS SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS (SIGS)
Take advantage of the direct customer contact Encompass Special
Interest
Groups (SIGS) programs offer you. SIGs are recognized forums where
HP
users with a vested interest in enterprise computing exchange ideas
and
discuss technologies. Organized by Encompass members, SIG members
meet
annually at the annual conference and interact weekly via mailing lists.
You are invited to join one of the four SIGS: Linux SIG, Enterprise
Unix, OpenVMS, and Enterprise Storage at
http://www.encompassUS.org/community/sigs/sigjoin.html.

EVENTS CALENDAR
Encompass and HP community events are promoted via an online
events
calendar at http://www.encompassUS.org/calendar/index.cfm  Check
this
calendar on a regular basis to learn about upcoming Encompass events.
Forward calendar posting requests to information at encompassUS.org .

WE WANT YOUR FEEDBACK AND SUBMISSIONS
Not see something in Encompass Points you would like? Let us know. If
you have news, updates or something special you'd like to let the
Encompass community know, please send to
brian.jones at encompassUS.org .
* * *

Interested in advertising? E-mail information at encompassUS.org.

Previous issues of Encompass Points are available in the online
archives. Access them at
http://www.encompassUS.org/members/points_archive/.

* * *

How to Avoid Missing our Newsletter:
Your newsletter will be coming from this address:
{information at encompassUS.org} Add this to your list of addresses from
which you want to receive mail.

Encompass Headquarters
401 N. Michigan Avenue
Suite 2400