[Vms.sig-hu] Updated VMS Information - OK for External Use (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2005. Dec. 16., P, 07:50:58 CET

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:39:59 -0500
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: Updated VMS Information - OK for External Use

Dear Folks,

Here is this weeks Updated VMS Information which I think you will
useful.

Warm Regards,
Sue

>From VMS Engineering
Training:
My Favorite Web Sites this week
VMS Technical Journal
OpenVMS Hobbyist:
>From Encompass
>From our Partners
Jobs - Please keep in mind I have nothing to do with hiring folks, I am
just passing on what gets sent to me.

_______________________
>From VMS Engineering
Earlier this year, after hearing from our existing BASEstar customers as
well as potentially new BASEstar customers, we decided to port
BASEstar
Open to HP's new Integrity Servers.  Specifically we have ported
BASEstar Open Server, OMNI, OSAP/AP, OSAP/H1, and the S7 DASes to
both
HP-UX and OpenVMS I64.
We have a select number of field test sites who have shown interest in
evaluating BASEstar Open and / or OMNI on Integrity.  I'd like to extend
the offer to have some additional customer sites added for feedback to
engineering on the product, so if you are interested and would like to
participate please let me know.
We expect the formal release of the above BASEstar products to be
completed before end of this year.  They can be ordered now, the part
numbers and pricing are already in place.  The BASEstar products are
now
licensed on a per-processor basis like most of the HP Integrity Server
software products.  Trade-in allowances are available for customers
who
wish to move from existing platforms to Integrity, details are
available.
Requirements for evaluation:
Must be an existing BASEstar Open or OMNI user.
(The product and interfaces will be the same as on existing platforms.)
OpenVMS I64
An Integrity Server running OpenVMS I64 V8.2 or V8.2-1
HP-UX
An Integrity Server running HP-UX version is B.11.23 (or 11i v2).
32 bit libraries are initially supported, both 32 and 64 bit support
will be provided in final release.

Training:

Host Based Volume Shadowing (HBVS) Basics and Beyond

BRUDEN Corporation is proud to announce that it will be sponsoring
deliveries of a new course developed by John Andruszkiewicz (aka John
AtoZ).  John, a former member of OpenVMS Engineering, was
responsible
for developing and maintaining the HBVS product.  The course is titled
Host Based Volume Shadowing (HBVS) Basics and Beyond. This course is
designed to assist the System Manager in implementing, maintaining,
and
troubleshooting Host Based Volume Shadowing (HBVS) in an OpenVMS
environment.  This lecture/lab course is 3.5 days in length.
Scheduled course dates are:
February 21 through February 24, 2006
April 3 through April 6, 2006
Please check the BRUDEN web site (www.BRUDEN.com) or contact
Bruce Ellis
(Bruce.Ellis at BRUDEN.com) for details.

VMS Technical Journal

Reminder:  If you have not filled out the OpenVMS Technical Journal
Survey could you please do so before Monday at this point only 185
folks
have responded.  Please visit www.openvms.org we value your
feedback.

Based on survey feedback we have now added a total list of a table of
contents of all the OpenVMS Technical Journals
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/toc.html

________________________
OpenVMS Hobbyist:

Latest Count: 644025 Paks Generated to date, 40662 in the last 6
months

The OpenVMS Hobbyist web site has been updated with new stories,
thanks
to Jim Rainville and Warren Sander:  Please stop by and visit our web
site at:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/license_software_programs/mai
nstorypag
e.html

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com this is a friend of mine not to mention
run
on a VMS hobby license

Ann McQuaid Announces the winner of the hobby contest:
http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=05/11/30/5749689

________________________
>From Encompass

Updates to the VMS Technical Resource page at
http://www.encompassus.org/resources/openvmsportal.html by adding
section for VMS-related whitepapers

___________________________
>From our Partners

Oracle Rdb

We are pleased to announce the release of Oracle Rdb Release
     7.1.4.3 (aka V7.1-43).  The kit is available on Metalink and
     will be on OTN shortly.

     Software Errors Fixed in Oracle Rdb Release 7.1.4.3

     Software Errors Fixed That Apply to All Interfaces
       - Various Bugchecks Due to Memory Corruption
       - Reserved Sequence Slots Not Properly Initialized
       - User Attach Stalls Waiting for ALS Startup
     SQL Errors Fixed
       - CREATE TABLE ... LIKE May Create Invalid NOT NULL Constraints
       - STDDEV and VARIANCE Generate Wrong Values in GROUP BY
Queries
       - SQL Module Language /PROTOTYPES Now Generates INT64 for
BIGINT
         Parameters
       - IMPORT DATABASE Looses SECURITY CHECKING Attributes
      RMU Errors Fixed
       - RMU/BACKUP of Database With Very Large Storage Area Count
       - RMU Backup and Restore Problems With Many Storage Areas
       - Corrections to RMU Extract
     Row Cache Errors Fixed
       - RCS and User Memory Leak With Snapshots in Row Cache
     RMU Show Statistics Errors Fixed
       - Excessive Erases Done for Fragmented Rows
       - Some RMU/SHOW STATISTICS Screens Not Cleared Properly

JOBS:
_____________

Name: Vicki Tyler
Email: vicki.tyler at eurobase-international.com
Country/Region: GB
Subject: OpenVMS product business feedback

Comments:
I am working for an IT Recruitment agency and am vety eager to find
VMS
System Administrators willing to work for a large investment bank up
London. If they could send their cv's through to me this would be great.

urls: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/
Referring_URL: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/
company_name: Eurobase People

__________
>>> Paulette Rose Poloni <polonip at LAFAYETTE.EDU> 10/28 5:37 pm

Since it is hard to find folks with VMS skills (especially those of a
system administrator) I am wondering if any of you use or have looked
at

getting part or all of your VMS system administration support from a
remote
/ outsourced service?
If so, who is the vendor?
How has the arrangement been working out?
If not, how do you go about providing VMS sys admin?  I
s your current VMS sys admin also responsible for other op systems?
Have
you developed VMS sys admin skills by sending folks off to training?
What was their original background when hired?

Thanks

Paulette Poloni

Paulette Rose Poloni
Director of Administrative Information Systems
Lafayette College
634 Parson Street
Easton Pa 18042-1768
___________

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:47:09 -0500 (EST)
From: "John R. Covert" <covert at covert.org>
To: Sue Skonetski <susan.skonetski at hp.tom>
Subject: Jobs in CA and NM for sixty OpenVMS engineers with clearances

There is an immediate need for some sixty VMS engineers, especially
those with internals and device driver experience, for a large
government project in CA and NM.  Security clearances are required;
therefore I don't know the exact details of the work.  Please send your
resumes to Bonnie Huval at bonnie_huval at bigfoot.com or at the
address in
her message below.

/john

From:	SMTP%"huvalbd at seneschalonline.com"  2-DEC-2005
09:58:15.18
To:	"Covert, John" <covert at covert.org>
Subj:	OpenVMS Work

John:

Sunday I met with a fellow who needs 40 VMS people in California and
20
at
Los Alamos NM. All of these openings require security clearances. But
Lou
has his finger on the pulse of a lot of VMS work, particularly for DOD
and
NASA. Some that doesn't require clearance is likely to turn up, also.

Would you or anyone you know want to do some of this work? Lou
would
like
it very much if my company could offer some VMS people. He has known
me
for
about nine years now and has high regard for the work I do and the
type
of
people I hire.

Please pass this along to anyone you know of who might be interested.

Bonnie

Új év - új állás? De miért is?...
...magasabb fizetés, szakmai fejlődés, nagyobb megbecsülés, dinamikus csapat -
http://www.jobpilot.hu - több tízezren már megtalálták velünk. Kattintson!