[Vms.sig-hu] ANNOUNCEMENT - OpenVMS Technical Journal - June 2005 - OK for external use (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2005. Jún. 29., Sze, 14:39:39 CEST

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:00:56 -0400
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: ANNOUNCEMENT - OpenVMS Technical Journal - June 2005 - OK
for external use

Dear Distribution Lists,

It is my pleasure to announce the June 2005 issue of the OpenVMS
Technical Journal.

As always, we have a number of excellent articles for you to enjoy. You
may not know that the VTJ is a volunteer effort and hence a labor of
love not only for the contributors, but for the larger community. Many
thanks go to the core team of Warren Sander, our web master, and
Mary
Marotta, our editorial lead. Special thanks go to Pat Nelson and Sarah
Masella, who helped out with the editing this time around. Many thanks
as well to all the authors.

Some of the highlights in this issue include an article on Porting
OpenVMS to HP Integrity Servers by Clair Grant. This first-hand account
includes photographs and many inside jokes that those who were
involved
will remember.

Another interesting article is how threads are used in the Cluster Test
Manager. Have you ever wondered how HP tests all those different
configurations and parameter combinations? Threads!

We have some excellent articles about products that run on OpenVMS.
EMC
Legato NetWorker provides backup solutions and supports Oracle in
particular. LDdriver is a utility that creates virtual disks from files
or even blocks. Find out how to use both in this issue.

OpenVMS is running more and more Open Source software. Python is a
scripting language that can be used to create web pages on OpenVMS.
And
the article on Automatic Program Generation describes how MySQL and
PHP
were used to provide an IT infrastructure for the Florida Democratic
Party -- for free!

We have articles about troubleshooting OpenVMS applications. Ruth
Goldenberg, and Richard Bishop describe how Fatal Bugchecks are
handled.
Protecting and Monitoring OpenVMS Systems is all about auditing and
access security.

Many people are considering porting to the Integrity platform. This
issue includes two good articles describing porting efforts. Porting RPG
describes how a compiler was ported to I64, and Porting TDMS gives an
overview of porting an application from VAX to Alpha, and then from
Alpha to I64.

We hope you enjoy this issue of the Journal. Let us know how you like it
-- or what you would like to see in the future.

Please visit http://whsdev.mro.cpqcorp.net:81/vtj for the complete
issue.

Warm Regards,
Sue Skonetski