[Vms.sig-hu] Updated VMS Information - Please keep for future use - OK for external use (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2005. Nov. 2., Sze, 10:19:21 CET

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:15:52 -0400
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: Updated VMS Information - Please keep for future use - OK for
external use

Dear VMS Friends,

I hope you are having a great day, attached please find this weeks
updated information. Please keep in mind that I will not be back in the
office until November 28th, but I will have access to email most of the
time.  Just at different times of the day. Speaking of if you go to
www.openvms.org you can see some of my favorite pictures of the
hundreds
that I took in Europe during the OpenVMS Technical Update Days.

Asia Pacific OpenVMS Technical Update Days still to come - see you
there

Sydney Nov 3-4 http://www.hp.com.au/ovmstechdays/
Melbourne Nov 8-9, http://www.hp.com.au/ovmstechdays/
Singapore Nov 14-15
http://h50055.www5.hp.com/edm/sg/SG543010/default.htm
Taiwan Nov 17-18
http://218.32.200.131/enterprise/activity/051117_VMs/default.asp

As you will notice I am trying to use the tiny url web page to help with
the url wrapping problem that we seem to run into every week.
www.tinyurl.com

Technical Journal Articles are due Nov 15, Here is the line up of
articles for the Jan 2006 issue and it is looking great.  We have
reached 38,000 views this year on the VTJ web site:
Please forgive me if I missed any of the articles
Faking It with OpenVMS Shareable Images;
Oracle RDB Monitoring;
The Development of a High-Performance VAX 6000 Emulator;
VMS Check Tool;
Bringing Seismic Data to the web with OpenVMS;
WASD in SOAP/XML Transaction-Oriented Environments;
Using OpenVMS to Meet a Sarbanes-Oxley Mandate SLS to ABS/MDMS
Migration;
Strategies for Migration from Alpha and VAX to Integrity;

Speaking of the VMS Technical Journal, there will be a survey up on
openvms.org in a few days and we would really appreciate your
feedback
so we can continue to improve and bring you articles that you want and
need.

This is the second week for the new topic of "It is personal" let me
know if you like the idea, I think it is a way for us to get to know
each other better.  Your submissions/suggestions are welcome.

Warm Regards as always,
Sue

Now available

NOW AVAILABLE - Business Practices for HP OpenVMS on Integrity
Servers
http://tinyurl.com/b97tp
VMS in the PRESS
Itanium
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE HP AND INTEL DEVELOP WORKSHOP 2005 IN
HOUSTON
PARTNERS
	ISE INC
	WYSE/ERICOM
	NEMONIX
IT IS PERSONAL
JOBS
MISC

VMS in the PRESS
http://tinyurl.com/c3c2k Hurd Makes Vow of Stability for HP's Core
Technologies

***** you will like this read to the end Ballmer: Microsoft Losing More
Than Winning Against Linux  http://tinyurl.com/cmfvh

Stop Arguing About Cars and Start Managing Fleets
http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug102005-story04.html

Making the Adaptive Enterprise Vision a Reality: The HP Partitioning
Continuum http://tinyurl.com/dd3z2 (VMS is mentioned)
_______
Itanium
Big Dogs Back Itanium	http://tinyurl.com/9yyas

HP to continue to back Itanium http://tinyurl.com/9h3lv

_______________
_________________
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE HP AND INTEL DEVELOP WORKSHOP 2005 IN
HOUSTON (sent
with John Egolf's approval)

HP and Intel Developer Workshop 2005  - Houston
Dates: Oct 18-20, 2005

Attendee count: VMS:22

OpenVMS Solutions completed: 38

"Did the Developer Workshop meet or exceed your expectations?", 22
Yes,
0 No

OpenVMS representatives were Sue Lewis, Karen Noel, Lenny
Szubowicz, and
John Egolf.  Dave Rabahy, HP OpenVMS Ambassador from Detroit area,
attended and helped a lot - thanks Dave! Many thanks to the many
engineers who supported us via email and phone!

OpenVMS V8.2-1 SSB release was used as operating system base.

Attendees

CompanyCityState
Baylor UniversityWacoTX
Computer AssociatesFraminghamMA
Computer AssociatesFarminghamMA
Control Systems InternationalLenexaKS
General DynamicsNeedhamMA
General DynamicsNeedhamMA
Genetek Earth ResearchHoustonTX
Graymatter Software CorporationSeattleWA
GroundworkLake ForestIL
Happy State BankAmarilloTX
Invensys Systems, Inc.HoustonTX
McKessonMalvernPA
Norandal USA, Inc.FranklinTN
Northlake Software, Inc.PortlandOR
Pittsburgh Supercomputing CenterPittsburghPA
SBPA SystemsHoustonTX
Software Mgt Assoc.KingwoodTX
Spirit TelecomFort MillSC
Spirit TelecomFort MillSC
Tachyon Software ConsultingHumbleTX
Tech-Time Inc.BillingsMT

Highlights:
First time we had a two headed (two displays) application ported from
Alpha to I64 System was Genetek Earth Research and used GKS to
show
seismic graphics.
AEST, the binary translator, was used by several people - generally it
worked quite well.
Fairly large (~700K) set of solutions written in Synergex Dibol, were
ported with no code changes in about 2 hours.
Solutions had a mix of development languages such as C, C++,
Macro32,
Basic, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, and Dibol. Oracle Rdb and CDD were also
used by several people.

Quotes / Comments:

"The new HP Integrity Servers are an excellent migration path,
especially for Alpha system users.  The conversion went extremely well
and only took a matter of hours to complete.  The future for VMS looks
brighter than ever!!  HP & Intel have done an excellent job!!

Completed 1,639 program - 17 applications.  All are written in Synergex
Dibol.  Absolutely nothing had to be changed in our code.  Complete
port
/ conversion took approximately 2 hours once the Synergex PAKs were
installed"

"Well organized.  John and the rest of the HP/Intel team were great.
Enjoyed the casual, yet professional atmosphere of the workshop"

 "I'm absolutely amazed - the build times on OpenVMS Integrity are
more
than 10 times faster than on Alpha.  I haven't had this much fun in
years, this is really exciting!"

 "The workshop was very instructive, informative, and fun.  The VMS
team
of John, Karen, Lenny & Sue were great to work with - bright,
knowledgeable, and personable."

"One of the best workshops I have ever attended!"

"Intense!  A great way to begin the port and learn from the experts!"

"A wonderful opportunity to port my code under the supervision of very
qualified instructors."

"Very informative and very professional."

"Second time I attended and I still find it extremely valuable.  Lots to
learn and assimilate; lots of work to get done!"

 "It [the workshop] provided all the tools, information, and time to get
your application ported to Integrity / VMS"

"I was amazed at how easy my utilities compiled and ran.  I did not
need
to edit any code, even as old as it is"

"The HP staff were exceptionally helpful in getting the layered products
and my own missing data needed for the port."

"The workshop was well organized and prepared.  The expertise was
top
notch."

"The workshop was awesome!  The presenters were well-informed,
helpful,
and pleasant.  I enjoyed the hands-on opportunity"

"The migration went smoothly, but it was really nice having folks on
hand who knew the ropes and had been through it all before.

_______________
_________________
PARTNERS

ISE INC.
EnterpriseSCHEDULE Client Licenses at no cost

ISE has announced that it will continue to offer unlimited, NO COST
client licenses with the purchase of a server license for
EnterpriseSCHEDULE.  Thus, if a company is operational on multiple
servers across many platforms, that organization can offer the ability
to monitor, modify and control their scheduling information to many
dispersed PC's at no additional cost. This option will be extended
through March 31, 2006 http://www.i-s-e.com/

-----------

Wyse Announces Partnership to Provide Ericom's PowerTerm
WebConnect
Client  http://tinyurl.com/8smz5

---------------

NEMONIX(tm) Engineering is pleased to announce a Dual Port Gigabit
Ethernet Controller for DS, ES, and GS series HP AlphaServers.
NEMONIX(tm) Engineering, long known for VAX performance
enhancements, is
now expanding their offerings to include HP AlphaServer system
hardware
enhancements. This continues the strategic focus of extending customer
ROI on existing HP OpenVMS systems. The controller was jointly
engineered over the past year by NEMONIX(tm) Engineering and HP in
response to HP customer demand. This first AlphaServer offering is
targeted at owners of DS, ES, and GS systems. It brings expanded
network
flexibility and gigabit ethernet speeds to AlphaServers beyond the
included single 10/100 Mb capability. It is also targeted to eliminate
"slot crunch" in slot limited systems like the DS10L/20L by providing
enhanced network configuration opportunities. The controller operates
in
a single 64 bit PCI or PCI-x slot in supported AlphaServer
configurations.
http://www.nemonixengineering.com/

It is Personal -

One of the engineers in the VMS group who has been with the
combined
company DEC/CPQ/HP for 35 years Tom Cafarella, has a son who is in
two
bands that have CD's that have been published.

If you're interested in music that has been variously described as "art
punk", "dance punk", "electroclash", etc., check out:

		Supersystem:  "Always, Never, Again"

		Shy Child:    "One With the Sun"

And to think my piano teach quit (this was this summer) ;')

Jobs
-that Rupande is looking for a resource?  Thanks.

Ted

Hello Ted,
I am looking for a candidate with VMS and COBOL skills. This is for a
full time position in Southern CA, with my direct client.
If you are interested, send me your resume asap and I will get back to
you.

Regards,
Rupande Mehta
The Resource Mine Inc.
Off: 212-967-1259
Fax: 212-967-1224
Cell: 917-557-8494
rmehta at resource

Misc..

I received this email the choice is up to you if you wish to respond to
it or not -----Original Message-----