[Vms.sig-hu] Intel And Friends To Invest $10 Billion In Itanium - ok for external (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2006. Jan. 31., K, 08:11:54 CET

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:43:08 -0500
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: Intel And Friends To Invest $10 Billion In Itanium - ok for external

Dear Distribution Lists,

The following article is quite impressive

http://tinyurl.com/9jgc3 or the full url is:

http://news.com.com/Allies+pledge+10+billion+to+boost+Itanium/2100
-1006_
3-6031773.html?tag=nefd.top

Warm Regards,
Sue (back from the Ambassadors meeting)

Intel And Friends To Invest $10 Billion In Itanium
534 words
01/26/2006
CMP TechWeb
English
(c) 2006 CMP Media Inc.
Intel's Itanium chip has been struggling in the market, with three of
the four largest server makers choosing not to build systems based on
the processor. But the high-end processor architecture will not fail due
to lack of financial support. Intel and a group of technology companies
that includes Hewlett-Packard on Thursday pledged to spend $10 billion
over the remainder of the decade to support Itanium.

Originally envisioned by Intel and co-designer HP as a technology
platform that would supplant x86 chips as a mainstream processor
architecture, Itanium has since been rescaled to target
"mission-critical" server applications, the same market currently served
primarily by IBM's Power and Sun Microsystems' Sparc processors.

"The marketplace is looking to go through a transformation over the
course of the next several years, which is really why we are investing,"
says Carol Barrett, director of enterprise platform marketing for Intel.
"We think we have critical mass behind us and exciting opportunities
coming to us in the future."

Intel declined to provide specific Itanium shipment numbers, but
according to IDC unit sales of Itanium-based systems totaled less than
9,000 in the third quarter of 2005. Those numbers pale compared to
larger x86-based server market. But the high-end servers that use
Itaniun offer opportunities for higher revenue as compared to the more
commoditized x86 market.

Itanium sales are strong when compared to sales of other RISC-based
processors at similar points in their early history, Barrett says.
Itanium platform revenue currently totals 58% of Sun Sparc revenue
and
33% of IBM Power revenue, she says. In addition, more than 6,000
applications are currently available to run on Itanium-based systems.

While both Dell and IBM withdrew support for Itanium early last year,
Itanium systems are now being used in 70 of the world's 100 largest
companies, up from 40 a year ago, she says.

Intel has already invested billions of dollars in Itanium, and the
company declined to say what percentage of the latest $10 billion
investment it would be providing. The investment is worthwhile, the
company believes, because the mission-critical server market addressed
by Itanium represents a $140 billion hardware opportunity over the
next
five years, and nearly 60% of the installed hardware in the segment is
three years old or greater.

The funding is being provided by the Itanium Solutions Alliance, which
was announced in September. In addition to Intel and HP, it includes
other equipment vendors such as Bull, Fujitsu, Fujitsu-Siemens, Hitachi,
NEC, SGI, and Unisys. The $10 billion investment will used for research
and development efforts by Intel to improve the processor architecture,
by the hardware vendors to expand and advance server platforms, and
by
software vendors to create new applications, compliers, and tools to
support Itanium.

The next big step for Itanium will come mid-year, when Intel is
scheduled to introduce its first dual-core versions, which are
code-named Montecito. They will also integrate Intel's Virtualization
Technology. The Montecito processor will provide twice the performance
and 2.5 times the performance per watt than the existing Itanium
processor, Barrett says.

WSJ: Group Of Cos. Plans $10B In Itanium Chip Investments
370 words
05:00 pm, 01/26/2006
Dow Jones News Service
English
(c) 2006 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

   By Don Clark
   Of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Supporters of the Itanium computer chip,
which is perennially plagued by questions about its future, are vowing
to keep up their investments in the technology.

Intel Corp. (INTC) and Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ), which conceived the
chip, and seven other computer makers that use it said they expect to
collectively invest $10 billion through the end of the decade to drive
adoption of Itanium. Though contributions from individual companies
weren't specified, the companies said the figure includes spending on
research and development and marketing associated with hardware
and
software associated with Itanium.

"We are talking real cash here," said Tom Kilroy, an Intel vice
president who is general manager of its digital enterprise group. "The
overall level of investment absolutely is up."

(This story and related background material will be available on The
Wall Street Journal Web site, WSJ.com.)
The Itanium, which is manufactured by Intel and provides the
processing
power for several lines of H-P server systems, is far outsold by chips
that use the x86 design from Intel and Advanced Micro Devices Inc.
(AMD). Where hundreds of thousands of those systems are purchased
per
quarter, unit sales of Itanium-based systems totaled only 8,645 in the
third period, market researcher IDC says, up 5% from the year-earlier
period.

But the dollar value of systems based on Itanium rose 76% to $626
million over that time period, reflecting the chip's use in high-end
machines that tend to carry high price tags. Itanium supporters say
they
are gaining ground on other technologies used in high-end machines,
such
as the Power chips from International Business Machines Corp. (IBM)
and
the Sparc line from Sun Microsystems Inc. (SUNW).

Besides Intel and H-P, members of a group called the Itanium Solutions
Alliance that participated in a news conference in San Francisco include
Bull SA (1026660.FR), Hitachi Ltd. (HIT), Fujitsu Ltd. (6702.TO),
Fujitsu Siemens Computers BV, NEC Corp. (NIPNY), Unisys Corp. (UIS)
and
Silicon Graphics Inc. (SGID).

-By Don Clark, The Wall Street Journal; 415-765-6115 [ 01-26-06
1700ET ]

Mission Critical Computing Customers Deploy Itanium Solutions;
Industry
Leaders Discuss Itanium Deployments for Mission Critical Enterprise and
Technical Computing Environments
1532 words
05:00 pm, 01/26/2006
Business Wire
English
(c) 2006 Business Wire. All Rights Reserved.
SAN FRANCISCO - (BUSINESS WIRE) - Jan. 26, 2006 - Leading
enterprise and
technical computing users including Bull, Fujitsu, Fujitsu Siemens,
Hitachi, HP, Intel, NEC, SGI and Unisys, announced today their
investment in Itanium solutions to meet their most demanding mission
critical computing needs. With 70 of the Fortune 100 corporations
utilizing or planning Itanium solutions deployments and Itanium
solutions gaining market segment share from IBM* Power* and Sun*
Sparc*
solutions, leading technology users are making strategic investments in
open, industry standard Itanium solutions over proprietary alternatives.

"Our successful transition to the (Itanium 2-based) Unisys ES7000
server
is not only important to our ability to serve our mission to our
members, it's critical to the company's ability to do that while staying
financially strong," said Alan Smit, senior vice president and CIO,
Premera Blue Cross.

One of the fastest growing segments for Itanium solutions is High
Performance Computing. Leading technical computing users have
invested
in Itanium platforms to speed time to innovation on some of the worlds
most challenging scientific undertakings.

"At San Diego State University we are using world leading visualization
technology to aid in rebuilding disaster areas around the world
including Banda Aceh following the Tsunami and New Orleans following
Hurricane Katrina. Being able to provide real time visual data to relief
workers aids in speeding the rebuilding process as well as in
prioritization of relief efforts. The use of the Itanium 2 based SGI
Prism solution has provided the technical engine to provide this world
changing data in real time. The integration of the Linux software and
sheer performance of the Itanium system have made a major impact on
remote sensing and GIS in ways that are changing the world."

News of deployment momentum came as the Itanium Solutions Alliance
hosted its first Executive League event. The purpose of the event was
lay out the strategy for Itanium Solution delivery through the end of
the decade. Enterprise computing leaders were expected to discuss
strategies of utilizing increased momentum for Itanium solution
development to drive solutions based on the architecture to a
predominant position within the over $28 Billion mission critical market
segment. Expected within the discussion is expansion opportunities for
the over 6,000 applications currently running on Itanium platforms.

A global organization, the Itanium Solutions Alliance was founded in
September, 2005 with a mission to accelerate Itanium solution
deployments. The Alliance offers a suite of developer enabling programs
including Developer Days, a Solutions Center Network and the recently
launched Itanium Solutions Catalog, the first public listing of software
applications available on Itanium platforms.

Membership to the Alliance is open to any enterprise and technical
software supplier looking to optimize applications for Itanium
environments or enterprise and technical computing providers looking to
network with other leaders in delivery of best-in-breed computing
solutions. More information about the Alliance, programs and
membership
can be found at www.itaniumsolutionsalliance.org .

About The Itanium Solutions Alliance
The Itanium Solutions Alliance was formed by leading enterprise and
technical solutions providers to work together towards a common
objective of transitioning the world of proprietary computing platforms
to open, industry standard solutions based on Itanium architecture.
Together with leading enterprise software and hardware providers, the
Alliance is dedicated to accelerating the adoption and ongoing
development of Itanium solutions. Its membership comprises some of
the
most influential companies in the computing industry.

* All trademarks, trade names, service marks, and logos referenced
herein belong to their respective companies.
Itanium Solutions Alliance
Customer Quotes
"As Japan's leading golf and tennis goods supplier, we are constantly
looking to improve computing resources to keep competitive
advantage. By
migrating our SAP ERP solution to NEC's Express 5800 Itanium solution
we
were able to drop average batch processing time from 9 to 4 hours
while
dropping query times from about an hour to less than 10 minutes. This
represents enormous computing efficiency gains for the corporation."

Toshihiko Inoue, manager of information systems department,
Bridgestone
Sports
"Deployment of Europe's largest supercomputer represents a
tremendous
achievement. The selection of Bull NovaScale Intel(R) Itanium 2(R)
solutions offered CEA the performance to deliver 60 Teraflops of
processing power with the flexibility of open source software stacks."

Jean Gonnord, program director for numerical simulation, CEA/DAM
"Running the world's largest financial exchange requires a technology
foundation that can scale to meet rising trading volumes. Our
Itanium-based HP NonStop solution has resulted in better performance,
lower latency, and higher throughput electronic trading systems.
Itanium
is a key component of the technical architecture at the CME. The CME is
committed to providing world class electronic trading systems that offer
performance reliability and functionality to meet the needs of our
customers."

John Hart, director, Technology Engineering, Chicago Mercantile
Exchange

"Continuing on the Itanium 2-based system allows us to realize the
continued cost advantages we had on previous Intel systems and
gives us
the increased scalability and performance that we now require. As part
of our decision-making, the Unisys and Intel partnership provided us
with predictability and reliability on the 64-bit technology."

Lorrie Watson, vice president of information technology, Coopervision
"Bull NovaScale Intel Itanium-based servers provide mainframe class
robustness together with high level performance that can be compared
those of the legacy servers in operation in our computing centre."

Jean Sass, CIO, Dassault Aviation
"We are using HP OpenVMS today for our highly available trading and
clearing systems, especially for Eurex Exchange. We just ported the
complete software of the Eurex Exchange, which consists currently of 5
million lines of source code, to OpenVMS on HP Integrity servers. We are
currently porting the Xetra cash market software as well. As the
transaction volume of this exchange is growing year-to-year, we are
planning to deploy mixed clusters adding HP Integrity servers to our
current AlphaServer environment. OpenVMS on Integrity servers will
enable us to introduce a new infrastructure with the same operating
system in a cost-efficient manner."

Gerd Koebschall, director, Head of Department XETRA/EUREX
Operations,
Deutsche Borse Systems AG
"Running on Integrity servers, our database processing is up to fivefold
faster than on our former mainframe-based RISC platform. Hour-long
processes now take three minutes. A 24-hour database load is now
down to
one hour. The performance gain enables us to meet the ever-faster SLA
requirements of our customers."

Jeff Knight, vice president of technology and vendor relations, Fiserv
ISS
"In a move to reduce costs and improve productivity, the use of CAE
analysis, instead of physical test, has greatly increased in the
automobile industry. Extreme accuracy is also of concern and a serious
requirement. In old days, the number of model elements in a new car
design was just tens of thousands but now it has grown to a couple of
million or more detailed elements. SGI Altix is the most appropriate
server to solve these large scale calculations. Based on benchmark test
results, we selected SGI Altix servers, which provide the combination of
SGI ccNUMA high performance architecture and Intel Itanium 2
affordability."

Hansoo Kang, GM of engineering system management team, Hyundai
Motor
Company
"With its 10,240 Itanium processors, Columbia became operational just
over a year ago. During this time we've seen vast improvements in
predictive capability, presenting huge advantages for saving human life
and property. The increased computational power has enabled
scientists
and engineers to create and simulate next-generation models in a
number
of disciplines such as aerospace vehicle design, weather prediction,
shuttle program analysis, and galactic discovery. Many of these
improvements in the time-to-solution are amazing -- problems that used
to take two months to run can now be solved in a single day."

Dr. Rupak Biswas, acting division chief, Advanced Supercomputing
Division, NASA
"HP Integrity servers based on the Intel Itanium 2 processor are key to
meeting our business intelligence needs, including support for Microsoft
SQL Server (64-bit) and SAS. We are now reaping the benefits of a 30
over 100 percent performance improvement over our previous solution,
enabling us to make better business decisions, faster, and also giving
us the headroom to sustain our 8 percent annual growth rate."

Dave Geiver, vice president of technology, PREMIER Bankcard
"At San Diego State University we are using world leading visualization
technology to aid in rebuilding disaster areas around the world
including Banda Aceh following the Tsunami and New Orleans following
Hurricane Katrina. Being able to provide real time visual data to relief
workers aids in speeding the rebuilding process as well as in
prioritization of relief efforts. The use of the Itanium-2 based Silicon
Graphics Prism(R) solution has provided the technical engine to provide
this world changing data in real time. The integration of the Linux
software and sheer performance of the Itanium system have made a
major
impact on remote sensing and GIS in ways that are changing the
world."

John Graham, chief scientist, San Diego State Visualization Center and
Center for Information Technology and Infrastructure

Regards,

Dong Wei
(916)748-2461
dong.wei at hp.com

Pénzügyi szolgáltatás és hiteligénylés interneten keresztül a nap 24 órájában.
www.klikkbank.hu