[Vms.sig-hu] Updated VMS Information - please keep this for future reference (fwd)

Fodor Zsuzsa fodor31 at freemail.hu
2006. Okt. 27., P, 08:07:31 CEST

---------- Továbbított levél ----------
Dátum: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:25:32 -0400
Feladó: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Címzett: Skonetski, Susan <susan.skonetski at hp.com>
Tárgy: Updated VMS Information - please keep this for future reference

Dear Internal and External Distribution lists,

First I would like to apologize for the size of this email message
however it is much better than sending individual messages to all of
you.  I urge you to read this carefully since there is a great deal of
important information included.  Everything other than the job can be
posted.

Warm Regards as always,
Sue

	1. Time Sensitive
	2. Announcements from Marketing
	3. Announcements from VMS Engineering:
	4. Sue's Fav's
	5. Partner Announcements
		5.1 Attunity Announces New and Enhanced
Features to Its Integration Suite
		5.2 Oracle Database 10gR2
		5.3 CA Unicenter® Network and System
Management System Monitoring Option for OpenVMS I64 r3.1
		5.4 Process Software OpenVMS Security Webcast
Invitation
		5.5 Announcing Oracle ODBC Driver for Rdb,
Release 3.2.0.0 Beta Program
		5.6 Cache versions running on OpenVMS 8.3
	6. In the Press
	7. Job's

Nov 2nd - Court Square and NEMONIX to Present Open/VMS Life
Extension and Systems Management Webinar on November 2
http://photography.consumerelectronicsnet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?
id=75368

OpenVMS Technical Journal Articles are due November 15.  Here is a
preview of the articles so far, if I have missed anyone please let me
know.

Methodologies for Fixing DECnet Alignment Faults
	Ajo Jose Panoor
OpenVMS Errorlog Analysis Made Easy
		Mike Hill, HP Germany
Setting up a VMS Web Server
		Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Mailboxes: Concepts, Programming, and Troubleshooting
	Bruce Ellis
Advanced CD and DVD Recording
			Steve Hoffman
Everything you wanted to know about alignment faults
	Guy Peleg
OpenVMS Backup Products: ABS/MDMS and Data Protector
	Ted Saul
Simplifying Maintenance with DCL
		Bruce Claremont
_______________________

2. Announcements from Marketing

New Brochure' Delivering high availability and disaster tolerance in a
multi-operating-system HP Integrity server environment' Success Story
This success story presents reference architectures for a variety of
scenarios that most enterprises encounter. The configurations are
based on HP-UX 11i, HP OpenVMS, Linux, and Microsoft Windows
Server 2003, that are fully supported on HP Integrity servers, as well
as the new HP Integrity NonStop server environment. Share this
success story with your customers to demonstrate the outstanding
capabilities of HP Integrity systems.
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-6737ENW.pdf

There is a great new Integrity success story on the VMS home page.
Instead of giving you the URL directly here is how you find all the
success stories.
Go to the HP OpenVMS home page (now is a good time to do this) here
is the url:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/ scroll down and you will see a heading
called success stories if you click on the Success Stories button you will
see them all.
The new one is ESME-Sudria they are a School of Engineering from
France

While you are there you might want to check out the new roadmaps.

______________________

3. Announcements from VMS Engineering:

The SLS Engineering team is happy to announce the availability of SLS
V2.9J-ECO002.
SLS Version V2.9J-ECO02 software provides the following new
feature/enhancement:
1) SLS V2.9J-ECO02 is qualified on OpenVMS Alpha V8.3 (NEMO) system.
2) Remote Device Facility (RDF) V4.3I is qualified to be used by SLS on
   OpenVMS Alpha V8.3. Use of RDF V4.3I by SLS on OpenVMS VAX V7.3
and
   OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 and V8.2 continue.
3) Bug fixes since SLS V2.9J-ECO01 Release.
 The kit can be obtained in the following ways -
1) Internal location for download:
   The kit is copied to BULOVA in the following location:
    BULOVA::PUBLIC5$:[STORAGE.SLS.KITS]
   Depending on the Server/Client component, the kit comprises of the
   following ZIP files and release notes:
 SLS_V29J_SERVER_ECO2.ZIP
 SLS_29J_SERVER_ECO02.REL_NOTES;1
 SLS_V29J_CLIENT_ECO2.ZIP
 SLS_29J_CLIENT_ECO02.REL_NOTES;1
2) External location for download:
The kit is also uploaded to the ITRC website that is separately available
for OpenVMS on VAX and Alpha. Following are the zip file names for the
two different platforms:
   - SLS_AXPVMS_J029_E02_SERVER.ZIP;1
   - SLS_AXPVMS_J029_E02_CLIENT.ZIP;1
   - SLS_VAXVMS_J029_E02_SERVER.ZIP;1
   - SLS_VAXVMS_J029_E02_CLIENT.ZIP;1

---------
JDK/JRE 5.0-2 for OpenVMS on AlphaServer Systems for Java Platform
Based on Sun's Java 2 Platform, this release passes all the tests in
Sun's Java Compatibility Kit test suite
http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/alpha/
-----------

HP Reliable Transaction Router (RTR): Field Test Kits
HP Reliable Transaction Router (RTR) is a fault-tolerant transactional
messaging middleware used to provide continuous application
availability. Field test kits are available for HP Integrity servers running
HP-UX11i, OpenVMS, Microsoft Windows and Red Hat Linux, as well as
for AlphaServer systems running OpenVMS:
http://www.hp.com/products1/rtr/

__

4. Sue's Fav's

In January we will be starting a contest.  The prize will be a free
registration to the OpenVMS Advanced Technical Boot Camp the week
of May 21, 2007.  The contest will be for folks that have accounts on:
http://www.trysecureserver.com/  this is VMS web based email and
much more.  You will have to have an active account and be using it in
some creative way (to be decided)

http://www.alternet.org/story/42641/  this is an awesome article titled
White-Collar Workers Unite! I really enjoyed reading this.

Keep an eye/ear out of something like podasts coming from
www.openvms.org.

Ok this is the first time I have every put in a book that I have read as a
Sue Fav BUT the Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver is now one of my
favorite books, it could be because it mentions VMS for the first time on
page 76 "serious hackers use Digital Equipment Corporations VMS".  I
guess I am easy to thrill

interesting article of a Web application running on OpenVMS which
handle a very high traffic :-) using WASD (thank you to Jean-François
and Mark Daniel)

http://wasd.vsm.com.au/ht_root/other/can_wasd_handle_the_load.htm

This caught my attention -
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?
ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20061016005431&newsLang=en

Crossroads Systems to Exhibit at ITUG Summit 2006 (VTS, a fully
integrated virtual tape hardware and software solution,Virtual
TapeServer also simultaneously supported many other systems such as
HP-UX, HP OpenVMS, IBM AIX, IBM OS/400, Unisys MCP, Sun Solaris,
Linux® and Microsoft® Windows® systems. VTS is sold and supported
by HP's NonStop Enterprise Division on an OEM basis and stands as the
only virtual tape product certified for use on the HP NonStop platform.

Sue,

After reading your Sue Faves, I need to share this with you.  I have a
very close friend in Arizona that built an ISP that is 100% OpenVMS.  It
is a combination of VAX and Alpha Clustered.  He uses VMS mail that is
POP3 enabled and is WEB accessable.  He has been building his
customer base since 2001 in Florence, AZ and has done so well that he
finally quit his regular job to run his ISP.  He has an antenna in his back
yard for broad band and keeps the VMS servers cooled down in his bed
room closet.  Like he says, he never worries about going on vacation.
If there is a power loss the VMS servers will just reboot and start
backup and he doesn't worry about Hackers, viruses, or worms.  Well
worms maybe, while he goes fishing.

5. Partner Announcements

5.1 Attunity Announces New and Enhanced Features to Its Integration
Suite  ...

Other AIS 5.0 additions to Attunity Stream include support for Adabas
running on OpenVMS, and for DB2/400 with support for System
Managed
Journals, both again enabling the capture and movement of only the
changes
made in either of these source database systems

For the complete press release please visit
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?
ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-23-2006/0004456879&EDATE=

5.2 Oracle Database 10gR2 for OpenVMS on HP Integrity servers now
available
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/partners/oracle/10gr2_oracle.html
--------------
5. 3 Unicenter® Network and System Management System Monitoring
Option for OpenVMS I64 r3.1
We are very proud to announce that the Unicenter® NSM System
Monitoring Option for OpenVMS I64 product is now generally available.
You can obtain more information about the new features and
functionality for this product at this link.

The product is available for electronic download from
www.supportconnect.com and is in all the distribution centers.  The
product support home page on supportconnect can be found here.
Please contact you CA account representative for licensing information.

Sincerely,

The Unicenter NSM System Monitoring Option for OpenVMS I64 r3.1
Development Team
----------------
5.4 Process Software OpenVMS Security
Webcast Invitation

Don't risk unauthorized users gaining access to vital information. Learn
how you can secure your OpenVMS systems and data with the latest
technology from Process Software.

Date: Friday, November 3, 2006
Time: 3:00 - 4:00 EST
Click Here to Pre-register for the Event:

http://www.talkpoint.com/viewer/starthere.asp?pres=114829

Conference call number: (877)844-5039; ID# 8573429

Watch and Win!!

You can be eligible to win an iPod by registering for an attending this
event! A drawing will be held at the end of the webinar.

What you will learn:

*	Authentication and encryption options used for securing data
*	Product overview of VMS Authentication Module and SSH
Solutions
*	Best practices for securing your OpenVMS systems

5. 5 Announcing Oracle ODBC Driver for Rdb, Release 3.2.0.0 Beta
Program

Oracle is pleased to announce the opening of the beta test program for
Oracle ODBC Driver for Rdb, Release 3.2.0.0. The Oracle ODBC Driver for
Rdb allows for applications to attach, query, and manipulate Oracle Rdb
databases through the standard ODBC protocol. The Oracle ODBC
Driver for Rdb uses the Oracle SQL/Services client and server software
to submit requests to and receive responses from an Oracle Rdb data
source. DECnet or Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol
(TCP/IP) communications protocol is used for communications between
the Oracle SQL/Services client and Oracle SQL/Services server.

The new major feature available for test in Release 3.2.0.0 is the
implementation of catalogs and schemas into a variety of the ODBC API
functions. Please see the release notes for detailed information.
To join the Oracle ODBC Driver for Rdb, Release 3.2.0.0 Beta please
visit:
http://otnbeta.us.oracle.com/pls/portal30/PORTAL30.wwa_app_module.
show?p_sessionid=262005

5. 6 The following previously-released Cache versions have been
tested on and are now available for HP Alpha systems running
OpenVMS release 8.3:

    Cache 5.0.21

    Cache 5.2

Cache 5.2 for OpenVMS Itanium is currently being tested on OpenVMS
8.3 and should be announced later this month.

InterSystems Corporation
One Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA 02142 USA
+1 617 621 0600
www.intersystems.com

6. In the Press

http://www.whatpc.co.uk/itweek/comment/2166050/itanium-zero-
hero - Can Itanium go from zero to hero?

http://www.echannelline.com/usa/story.cfm?item=21276 Intel's
Itanium -- time to reconsider?

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh100206-story01.html Bang for the Buck:
Big Iron Boxes, Even Bigger Bucks

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?
newsID=6958&pagtype=all Is it time to ditch your AlphaServers?

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=164012
AEP Networks Announces Latest Generation Netilla Security Platform
(NSP) SSL VPN Product

http://tinyurl.com/u3w7o or
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?
command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleI
d=265674&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top
AlphaServer Users Face Decisions on Hardware

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=225657&src=0
CA HARVEST CHANGE MANAGER 7.1 MANAGES, AUTOMATES AND
ACCELERATES APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT PROCESSES ACROSS THE
ENTERPRISE

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpc/955963.html Itanium Enthusiasm

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?
ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20061017005196&newsLang=en -
PTC® Windchill® PDMLink® Extends Support To HP Itanium® Servers
__

7. Job's